Underwriter II (Medical Insurance)
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
The remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed within the State of Arizona.
Purpose of the job
Determines appropriate and competitive premium rates for new and renewing group business.
Required Work Experience
- For grade level 25, no experience is required
- For grade levels 26 and higher, 2+ years with healthcare experience, experience as a group health underwriter
- High-School Diploma (Applies to all levels)
Preferred Work Experience
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in healthcare field
- 1 - 5 years’ experience as a group health underwriter
- Lead Underwriter
- 5 - 10 years’ experience as a group health underwriter
- Senior Underwriter
- 10 years’ experience as a group health underwriter
- 1 year experience in management or project management
- Bachelor’s degree in business, mathematics, statistics or related field (Applies to all levels)
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under general supervision, determine new and renewal premium rates based on an accurate and complete analysis of pertinent data using approved underwriting procedures and company guidelines. Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Under general supervision, produce and maintain documentation to support underwriting recommendations and rate calculations.
- Under general supervision, communicate with internal stakeholders regarding renewals and prospective bids.
- Obtain required approvals for external calculations from Senior, Lead Underwriter or management prior to distribution
- Under general supervision, perform ad hoc analyses as requested.
Lead Underwriter I-IV
- Manage workload with minimal supervisory instructions, limited project management assistance and limited review of results beyond pre-release peer review.
- Provide analysis and recommendations for more complex groups and rating scenarios with minimal supervision.
- Provide support / communicate to business partners in financial analysis with minimal supervision.
- Display initiative in research beyond the specific assignment.
- Communicate (both verbally and in writing) and interpret results. Anticipate and address possible business partner questions and concerns.
- Meaningfully contribute to the area’s workload, considering volume and complexity.
- Train and mentor underwriters and provide peer review.
Senior Underwriter I-IV
- Report to a manager who provides minimal supervisory instructions, limited project management, and minimal or limited review of results, beyond high-level pre-release peer review.
- Provide analysis and recommendations for advanced rating scenarios and groups.
- Provide creative pricing analyses and recommendations that will allow BCBSAZ to meet its Plan membership and financial goals.
- Plan and lead complex projects from inception to completion. Includes working independently on creating timelines, working with other areas to define deliverables, monitoring progress, implementing the project and resolving/monitoring post-implementation issues.
- Review and approve calculations completed by Underwriters
- Train and mentor other Junior and Senior Underwriters.
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Proficiency in Excel and Word (Underwriter)
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel and Word (Senior and Lead Underwriter)
- Knowledge of underwriting principles, guidelines, and methodologies (varies by grade level)
- General knowledge of the healthcare industry
- Knowledge of health benefit design and rating techniques
- Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to all levels in all departments.
- Ability to summarize technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with others.
- Prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints
- Solve problems independently and draw accurate conclusions from limited data using basic underwriting techniques
- Required Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, wordprocessing and presentation software
- Intermediate proficiency with data warehouses and query tools / design
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Knowledge of funding arrangements and their ratings
- Project management skill needed to create timelines, track deliverables and progress, resolve issues, and communicate project status
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R2835