Staff VP, Medicare Growth
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
For Internal Use:
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- Drive enrollment growth for Medicare Advantage, Part D and Medicare Supplemental products with responsibility for sales, product development, marketing and member materials. This position will drive the overall growth strategy utilizing all growth levers plus broker and direct sales goals, sales operations, Medicare Advantage bid development and Medicare Supplement rate actions. This position will be responsible for the annual sales goals while also developing the long-term product differentiation and marketing strategies with key team members and organizational partners.
1. Required Work Experience
· 10 years of management experience
· 10 years of experience in healthcare insurance sales, service, and sales management
· 3 years of experience in developing short and long range strategic plans, forecasting, and budgeting
2. Required Education
* BA or BS degree in business administration, marketing, management or related field
3. Required Licenses
* Active, current, and unrestricted State of Arizona Life, Health and Disability Insurance License
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
· 15 years of management experience
· 15 years of experience in healthcare insurance sales, service, and sales management
· 7 years of experience in developing short- and long-range strategic plans, forecasting, and budgeting
2. Preferred Education
* Masters or advanced degree in business administration, marketing, management or related field
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
* Certification or work toward HIA, RHU, CLU or similar designation
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop Arizona-specific strategies for achieving new sales and persistency goals necessary to meet the medical and Part D growth objectives of the corporation.
- Develop and implement overall sales plans for BCBSAZ to meet long- and short-term membership growth objectives. Establish annual and monthly goals for Sales team and each sales position.
- Establish sales strategies leveraging competitive intelligence.
- Manage the sales planning process to ensure the best possible use of resources consistent with the company’s values, philosophy, mission, and objectives.
- Develop and implement traditional and non-traditional, measurable sales strategies, track sales performance and results, and modify strategies as necessary.
- Drive development of new products, including planning, sales implementation, and analysis of both traditional and non-traditional products.
- Initiate long-range department goals and objectives through business planning process.
- Partner with Actuarial and Finance departments to achieve desired financial results.
- Provide ongoing training in sales, customer service, presentation skills, and BCBSAZ product lines.
- Develop and implement internal and external policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence to DOI / CMS regulations and Blue Cross Blue Shield standards.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
- Drive development of new products, including planning, sales implementation, and analysis of both traditional and non- traditional products.
- Act as subject matter expert working with marketing to deliver growth and retention campaigns.
- Oversee member communication delivery team to meet all compliance requirements.
- Work cooperatively with BCBSAZ Board, operations and executive teams, BCBS Association, and BCBS regional groups as required.
- Establish and communicate procedural changes to vendors including product, process, and scripting changes.
- Oversee day-to-day departmental administration by coaching and motivating managerial staff and departmental personnel to make maximum use of experience and skills.
- Monitor quality performance measures, develop and maintain effective workflows, and seek to maximize system efficiencies.
- Manage use of corporate funds including budgeting, financial management, and reporting. Identify opportunities to achieve administrative efficiencies while maintaining service.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals.
- Participate in strategic planning activities and contribute to departmental and cross-functional teams to achieve BCBSAZ goals and ensure future success.
- Coordinate activities between multiple divisions to achieve desired results.
- Support BCBSAZ’s Core Value of maintaining a heritage of service through community involvement.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
1. Required Job Skills
* Strong written and verbal communications.
* Intermediate PC proficiency.
* Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones.
* Intermediate skill in word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
* Intermediate skill using departmental BCBSAZ and BCBSA software.
2. Required Professional Competencies
* Management skills in an operationally changing environment, with drive for results and success based on planned
* Demonstrated ability to drive pipeline management focus in a sales and service organization.
* Strong customer service skills.
* Ability to facilitate and build productive working relationships with other blue plans
* Expert knowledge of Medicare product portfolio
* Strong competitor knowledge
* Strong, current knowledge of Medicare AZ market
* Knowledge of CMS regulations
* Interpersonal skills that allow for harmonious relationships with providers, members, and coworkers.
* Recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions.
* Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities.
* Ability and experience to assimilate multiple new functions, services, projects, and systems while maintaining existing
systems and programs.
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
* High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
* Principled leadership and sound business ethics
1. Preferred Job Skills
2. Preferred Professional Competencies
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies * N/A
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona