Sr Prescription Benefit Prior Authorization Specialty Technician (4 yrs Prior Auth processing PTCB Required)
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Position requires to work Tuesday through Saturday
Responsible for internal and external support functions that contribute to accurate claim processing for medications
Responsible for processing medication prior authorization requests from providers as well as answering incoming phone calls related to escalated issues and prior authorization request clarification
Required Work Experience
10 years Experience in pharmacy or medical field (eg pharmacy, health insurance, medical office, etc)
4 years Experience in Pharmacy Prior Authorization Intake & Processing
2 years Experience working on Specialty Pharmacy reviews including Medical Reviews
- High-School Diploma or GED
- Must have a current AZ State Board Pharmacy Technician license
- Must have a current Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Certification.
Preferred Work Experience
12 years Experience with a pharmacy benefit management or prescription claim administration
10 years Experience in Prior Authorization
3 years Experience with the current BCBSAZ PBM system
2 years Experience with BCBSAZ claims software / systems Medical & Pharmacy
10 years Demonstrated experience handling confidential information
- Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Process Prior Authorization Reviews including intake, clarification, approvals, denials, exclusions, or another exceptions as assigned
- Adhere to standard, urgent and exigent turnaround times for exception request & prior authorization request notifications to members & providers
- Answer internal & external phone calls regarding prior authorization clarifications and benefit clarification escalations
- Participate in projects that support the evolution of high value prescription benefits
- Participates in quality initiatives; including functions that support audits, reporting, evaluation of quality opportunities and concerns, and creation and implementation of corrective actions as requested.
- Interpret and maintain current working knowledge of the required BCBSAZ systems, procedures, forms and manuals
- Meet department defined production & quality metrics for Level
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
LEVEL 2 - ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS UNDER CLOSE SUPERVISION OR PEER REVIEW
- Provide Prior Authorization recommendations to reviewing RPhs based on benefit plan design and pharmacy coverage guidelines
- Assist in defining and improving the quality, quantity and timeliness standards to achieve individual and department performance goals as defined within the department guidelines.
- Communicate recommendations in regard to medication prior authorization processing and benefit decisions.
LEVEL 3 - ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS UNDER MINIMAL SUPERVISION
- Provide Prior Authorization recommendations to reviewing RPhs based on benefit plan design, pharmacy coverage guidelines and medical coverage guidelines
- Setup & process all specialty medication reviews regardless of being utilized under the pharmacy or medical benefit
- Maintain a working knowledge of all pharmacy and medical claims processing systems
- Subject matter experts regarding prior authorization with a focus on Specialty Prior Authorization, precertification and some retrospective reviews
Required Job Skills
- Intermediate PC proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and claims and imaging software
Required Professional Competencies
- Establish and maintain working relationships in a collaborative team environment
- Flexibility in prioritization of workflow
- Compose a variety of business correspondence
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Make use of employees' skills and abilities to deliver business objectives
- Use available information to focus the team's activities and identify priorities
Preferred Job Skills
- Advanced PC proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and claims and imaging software
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Effective interpersonal communication
- Multicultural sensitivity
- Claim system experience with pharmacy vendor software and/or systems
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.