Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Directs the activities of a team of project managers and Agile Scrum Master that are involved with defining, planning, project coordination and management of projects. This includes projects across multiple systems and multiple divisions within BCBSAZ.
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as change agent to lead BCBSAZ from a traditional waterfall based project teams to Agile stable teams focused on product development. This individual will bring together two organizations (Corporate Project Management and Agile). Lead the shift from project based focus to stable product teams.
- Guide and mentor multiple teams in the consistent practice of Agile concept, including roles, ceremonies, processes compliance and tool usage. Improves application of Agile principles.
- Improve team understanding of Agile practices.
- Promote metrics-led, continuous improvement of the Agile delivery processes.
- Bring together the PMO and all areas of IT and business to ensure that the Agile practice is implemented in a aligned, effective manager.
- Scale Agile methodology to large projects by organizing Scrum of Srums for cross project dependencies.
- Responsible for setting up processes and practices that produce project outcomes consistent with on-time and on-budget objectives.
- Ensure project artifact and communication consistency across the PMO and Agile practices.
- Establish partnership with business stakeholders to lead, shape and influence positive outcomes. Help to establish and drive the corporate strategy through successful execution of projects.
- Work in partnership with the Finance Department to build accurate labor and financial models.
- Direct high level project management and review of multiple projects assigned to Corporate Project Management.
- Coordinate project definition, scope, requirements, design, implementation and modification activities in conjunction with technical and functional areas, and executive management.
- Provide necessary cost estimates and/or benefit analysis for systems and large projects.
- Lead and monitor ongoing projects assigned to the corporate project team with status reports to management.
- Provide project leadership across all systems and functional areas as assigned.
- Responsible for research and support of project standards and implementation throughout the company.
- Maintain current knowledge of developments in healthcare related industries, new technology in systems design and software, and project management techniques, methodology and software.
- Maintain project management standards used by BCBSAZ. These standards should reflect the Project Management Institute base standards.
- Support and maintain a Corporate Project office for BCBSAZ. This office supports use of project management throughout the corporation – even if the project is not being managed by CPM.
- Refine / update the CPM Strategic plan with a focus on effective processes, templates and tools that deliver well managed, auditable project outcomes.
- Set the vision, strategy and be accountable for the implementation of enterprise project portfolio process and tools and monthly Executive Project reporting.
- Identify and implement process improvements that reduce cycle times, hours of effort, improve speed to market delivery and reduce administrative cost.
- Oversee day-to-day departmental administration by coaching and motivating staff and departmental personnel to make maximum use of experience and skills.
- Develop staff, including development and maintenance of training materials for new and existing staff, establishing performance goals, regular follow up with staff and year-end performance evaluations.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals.
- Participate in departmental strategic planning.
- Monitor quality performance, develop and maintain effective workflows, and seek to maximize system efficiencies.
- Review relevant production and operating policies to ensure that the most efficient processes are in place and determine tactical plans to improve processes and services that can be streamlined and/or improved.
- Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.