Sr. Manager - Application Development
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Responsible for providing initiative and leading the application development team. Ensures application of systems thinking
principles allowing team members to independently design, code, test, and deploy applications. Provide the necessary
documentation to support the application Development Life Cycle. Develop prototypes and solutions leveraging a diverse
range of technology. Apply modern principles, methodologies, tools, and systemic processes to support the launch new
launch new business capabilities. Lead the resolution of complex problems. Mentor development of those in less senior
1. Required Work Experience
* 3 years of management experience with demonstrated leadership responsibilities
* 10 years of experience managing complex systems implementations and working with batch, real-time, and database
* 5 years project management skills and substantial exposure to project-based work structure and project lifecycle
* 3 years of experience working with healthcare-related systems
2. Required Education
* High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
* Experience leading a team in the development of an enterprise application services
* Experience with SOA applications, EDI applications, integration platforms, or similar technologies
* Strong IT leadership, collaboration, and influencing skills are required. Must have the ability to persuade and build
consensus cross-functionally as an evangelist in a team oriented fashion.
2. Preferred Education
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Business Administration or related field of study
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Work with business leaders to define product vision, and ensure that teams have appropriate business requirements,
technical specifications, resources and plans and to execute projects on time and within budget.
* Develop and implement department strategic plan ensuring alignment with Enterprise Technology Plans and Corporate
Strategic plan and priorities. Establish realistic staffing forecasts and project timelines. Perform the duties of a
project/team leader as necessary to ensure timelines and budgets are met.
* Serve as the liaison for Medicare Advantage IT efforts across the relevant departments.
* Manage technical relationships with vendors and trading partners as part of Velocity Core and Velocity Connect
* Coordinate technical requirements and region designations to support vendor and trading partner related testing for
Velocity Core and Velocity Connect
* Coordinate creation of Play Books to support vendor and trading partner integrations
Participate in establishing Balance and Control protocols for vendor and trading partner integrations
* Leads and directs the prioritization of daily development work for projects, enhancements and production support tickets.
* Ensures that the Shared services team complies with change control guidelines.
* Responsible for coordination, communication, escalation and management of development work for projects and
enhancements across internal IT stakeholders, business users, and vendors.
* Assign work and supervise department staff and manage the department budget while facilitating prioritization of projects
and requests among competing business interests and interfacing with business sponsors
* Provide direction and resources to deliver products effectively. Provide clear concise communication keeping
stakeholders informed and escalates issues to senior leadership timely to minimize disruption. Give presentations,
organize project meetings and conduct system demonstrations with audiences comprised of various levels of users
including executive leadership.
* Develop a culture of trust, accountability, teamwork, high quality results and continuous improvement. Demonstrate
leadership abilities along with good judgment and decision making skills. Monitor individual employee performance; help
resolve both technical problems as well as human resources issues. Provide leadership and guidance to coach,
motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development. Hold team members
accountable for adhering to corporate policies and procedures.
* Evaluate and make recommendations on new and existing hardware/software technologies. Establish standards for
technology and business processes.
* Able to plan and implement projects using sound project management methodology.
* Creates and coordinates all development schedules and plans.
* Stays current on new developments in technology related industries.
* Participates with management in formulating goals for the Shared Services team.
* Participates in budgeting process, including resource capacity planning.
* Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure industry best practices are followed. Define and implement
quality assurance measures for all assigned activities.
* Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers. Manage vendors to ensure seamless,
high quality delivery of services in accordance with contractual obligations.
* The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
1. Required Job Skills
* Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
* Intermediate PC proficiency
* Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
* Strong knowledge of operating systems, i.e. Windows, AIX, Linux and systems networking and communication
* Working knowledge of core application software
* Able to direct and manage the team
* Is able to coach and mentor associates
* Is able to make software solution recommendations and construct a roadmap of system application initiatives
* Is able to write reviews and provide constructive feedback
2. Required Professional Competencies * Work with all levels of management and functional areas in BCBSAZ and understand the potential implications of system changes to those areas * Customer service skills to deal with sensitive and difficult customer situations * Independent thinker with strong oral, verbal and interpersonal communication skills * Strong understanding of information systems, business processes and the key drivers and measures for success * Strong decision analytical skills * Working knowledge of claims processing and related operational needs * Maintain confidentiality and privacy * Capable of investigative and analytical research * Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
* Provide leadership, promote teamwork, meet objectives and exercise independent judgment
* Experience leading and implementing projects and working collaboratively with other departments and levels of
* Strong organizational and management skills. Effective team building and supervisory skills as needed to maximize
productivity while ensuring high quality and high morale.
1. Preferred Job Skills
* Knowledge and understanding of Agile practices
* Advanced skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
* Advanced PC proficiency
* Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
* Expert knowledge of operating systems
2. Preferred Professional Competencies
* Demonstrate flexibility, anticipate customer needs and effectively communicate in a timely manner consistent with the
* Advanced tactical planning and decision analysis skills
* Able to cope with multiple priorities and high customer expectations and bridge the demands between internal and
* Advanced understanding of information systems, business processes and key drivers and measures fo success
* Advanced analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are often novel and not readily defined, lack known
precedent or appear contradictory
* Develop solutions by applying accepted processes or create new approaches to leverage technology from abstract
* Advanced understanding of HIPAA transactions and privacy requirements
* Presentation and public speaking abilities
* Development and application of budgeting concepts, processes and procedures
* Advanced project management skills
* Create business requirements, technical specifications, test plans and test scripts
* Interpret medical, legal and technical data, including state and federal regulations and their effect on operations
* Conceptualize new business architecture and infrastructure
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
* Identify resources and training needs while fostering opportunities for staff growth Promote and supports the overall
quality principles and company quality program
* Empower associates at all levels and encourage innovation and risk taking
* Develop an enthusiastic and positive work environment
* Negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to create win/win situations
* Resource management skills
* Skills, experience and leadership abilities to serve as designated back-up for the Director of Data Strategy, Data
Operations and Business Systems Development
* Educate and mentor department managers on leadership techniques, staff consulting, work management, etc.
* Provide management coverage for any area within the department as needed
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona