Splunk Engineer III - Remote AZ
Awarded a Healthiest Employer, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona aims to fulfill its mission to inspire health and make it easy. BCBSAZ offers a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Level 1 - Performs job functions under general supervision or peer review
- Reviews Intake Document Inputs with customer requirements from Delivery Teams and create dashboards
- Finds data based on the requirements in Splunk; and in (Azure) App Insights
- Writes queries in Splunk to create the dashboard
- Creates dashboard panels to show data being tracked and reviews with stakeholders
- Creates alert notifications for end users
- Partners with development teams to request data logged from code.
- Creates monitoring from a business view for balancing at a record or file level for projects
- Analyzes application/system metrics to track utilization trends over time to work with infrastructure/dev teams to detect/anticipate needs and failure patterns
- Work with architecture team, dev/ops team(s), project managers, scrum masters and stakeholders to define business requirements and dashboards goals and enhances per stakeholders’ feedback.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
Level 2 - Performs job functions with moderate supervision and peer review (in addition to level 1 activities)
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to dashboards, configuration(s), mapping, and processes.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing dashboards and processes; develop and implement strategies for improving creation of dashboards and processes.
- Participate or lead small to medium scoped projects
Level 3 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision
- Works with development and infrastructure teams during preliminary design/development phase of a system/application build to recommend production support and monitoring methods/strategies for attaining customer-specified operational reliability, using knowledge of reliability engineering and other technologies: Analyzes preliminary plans and develops reliability engineering program to achieve customer reliability objectives.
- Design and build custom monitoring solutions for BCBSAZ enterprise applications
- Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities
- Lead small to medium scoped projects
- Provide peer-level review and mentoring to levels 1 and 2
- Act as primary operational contact for internal and external customers when needed / in the absence of manager
- Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met
- Lead, develop and mentor staff by providing opportunities for growth through delegation, training, and assignment to various project teams
- Inform manager of any issues impacting the efficient and effective performance of the department including system, resource, and informational barriers; Provide timely feedback to team member on performance
- Assist manager in the day-to-day operations of the department
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in technology-related industries
- Participate in corporate quality programs
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Intermediate skill with core software applications, including current versions of MS Windows Server, MS Exchange, MS SharePoint, MS Active Directory, MS Systems Center, SolarWinds, CommVault, Trend, and VMware ESX
- Intermediate IT troubleshooting skills
- Working knowledge of networking and PC operating systemsfrom Microsoft/Linux
- Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws, including HIPAA regulations related to data security.
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business intelligence documentation
- Experience working with and managing third parties
- Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Strong Communication Skills and ability to communicate effectively with Business and IT Stakeholders.
- Ability to provide monitoring status updates to all levels of IT Leadership as needed.
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation. (Applies to Level 3)
- Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment. (Applies to Level 3)
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Advanced knowledge of computer operating systems
- Working technical knowledge of PowerShell or comprable programming languages.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards, including DNS, DHCP, & IIS
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
- Impeccable project management skills
- Solid technical ability and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of internal departments and operations
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Level 4)
- Ability to provide mentoring and peer review to team members
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver to team members
The Splunk Engineer will work with stakeholders to gather and understand requirements; partners with development, infrastructure, testing and business end users to ensure data is tracked, balanced, and accounted for spanning all integration points. The Splunk Engineer creates and maintains all Splunk dashboards, and alerts on variances and error processing. They serve in an enterprise project support role as part of a shared services team, to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of Splunk dashboards that support core organizational functions. The Splunk Engineer develops and utilizes record level monitoring capabilities for key enterprise solutions, provide support; and identifies and effectively communicates issues related to data being logged.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R3269