Senior Manager - Data Governance
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal Use Only: Grade 35
Purpose of the job
- Lead and manage all organization-wide data governance activities and will have responsibility for improving the quality and managing the protection of sensitive data and information assets. The position will focus on establishing and ensuring adherence to an enterprise data governance framework for data policies, standards and practices, both at the department and Business and Functional areas level, to achieve the required level of consistency, quality and protection to meet overall business needs.
- The Data Governance Manager serves as a point of escalation for governance, data quality and protection issues and will work closely with Business and Functional area leadership to improve the quality and value of core data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements as well as support the strategic requirements of the department.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience
- 15 years of business expertise, in a major services organization, with large-scale data or project management and oversight experience (Sr. Mgr.)
- 3 years of business expertise, in a major services organization, with large-scale data or project management and oversight experience
- 5 years of data analysis experience
- 3 years in a management role, with change or transformation leadership experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information management or related program
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 10 years of health insurance industry expertise
- 10 years of data analysis experience
- 7 years of experience in data management, and design, development, and administration of complex databases
- 7 years of experience with MS/SQL and database query / structures based on understanding of underlying data
- Master’s Degree in computer science, information management or related program
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and govern an enterprise data governance implementation roadmap including strategic priorities for development of information-based capabilities
- Roll out an enterprise wide data governance framework, with a focus on improvement of data quality and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the company’s principal information assets
- Serve as a liaison between Business and Functional areas and technology to ensure that data related business requirements for protecting sensitive data are clearly defined, communicated and well understood and considered as part of operational prioritization and planning
- Develop & maintain inventory of the enterprise information maps, including authoritative systems, owners
- Facilitate the development and implementation of data quality standards, data protection standards and adoption requirements across the enterprise
- Define indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements
- Lead Senior Management, comprising resources from the Business and Functional areas and IT business and operations functions, to achieve their objectives; resolve issues escalated from Business and Functional areas data governance representatives
- Provide progress reports to Board management and oversee periodic updates to the Enterprise Data Governance Roadmap
- Coordinate external data sources to eliminate redundancy and streamline the expense related to those services
- Identify new business opportunities pertaining to the use of information assets to achieve efficiency and effectiveness in the marketplace / represent data as a strategic business asset at the Senior Management table
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills
- Knowledge of industry leading data quality and data protection management practices
- Knowledge of data governance practices, business and technology issues related to data protection
- Knowledge of data related government regulatory requirements and emerging trends and issues
- Demonstrated consulting skills, with change management concepts and strategies, including communication, culture change and performance measurement system design
- Knowledge of risk data architecture and technology solutions
- Internally and externally recognized subject matter expert.
- Ability to influence processes/objectives
- Understanding of data quality issues and their resolution
Required Professional Competencies
- Understanding of health insurance business definitions, needs, reporting requirements, data, and data structures
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Ability to design and build scorecards, dashboards and status reports around data governance for different audience levels.
- Ability to gather and document business rules for inclusion in metadata
- Ability to work with solution architects to identify appropriate data source and standards for related projects.
- Analytical skills needed to make recommendations for the improvement of data quality in source systems and integrated systems.
- Ability to perform cost/benefit/impact analysis around data quality issues
- Ability to drive results with a matrixed team
- Ability to work with data stewards to develop and maintain business language/glossary, maintain metadata and library of data assets.
- Process management abilities necessary to run a system of tracking and resolving data quality issues.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- Work with all levels of management and functional areas to promote data governance as a means to achieving departmental and corporate goals/strategies
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to manage adversity and challenging situations
- Ability to optimize resources to ensure a cost effective operation. Includes proactively planning to move staff from one role to another as staffing needs, business priorities or workload changes.
- Ability to build effective teams.
- Ability to take appropriate risks, using available data.
- Ability to build synergy with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment.
- Provide leadership, promote teamwork, meet objectives and exercise independent judgment
- Experience leading and implementing projects and working collaboratively with other departments levels
- Results orientation, willingness to commit to a direction and drive operations to completion
Preferred Job Skills
- In-depth knowledge of business rules and definitions used in the health insurance industry
- Knowledge of internal departments and operations in health insurance industry
- Strong knowledge of HIPAA security and privacy requirements
- Advanced skill in statistical software and techniques in the analysis and interpretation of complex data sets.
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Ability to work with ambiguous and conflicting information while keeping focused on the end goal.
- Advanced skill in driving documentation and classification of data for security, standards and regulatory requirements.
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Demonstrates effective presentation skills
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona