Senior Counsel - AZ
Awarded a Healthiest Employer, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona aims to fulfill its mission to inspire health and make it easy. BCBSAZ offers a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
- Provide accurate and timely Legal advice to the Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates on a wide range of healthcare, insurance and other issues.
Required Work Experience
- 10 years of significant healthcare practice experience at health insurer, law firm, corporate Legal department, or healthcare provider, with a minimum of 10 years of experience practicing law.
- Juris Doctorate
- Active, current, and unrestricted license to practice law in the State of Arizona or licensure in another jurisdiction and ability to become licensed to practice law in the State of Arizona.
- Admission to State Bar of Arizona.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- Health insurance industry experience
- ERISA and health benefits experience
- 10 years of significant healthcare practice experience at health insurer, law firm, corporate Legal department or healthcare provider, with a minimum of 12 years of experience practicing law.
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide Legal advice to various divisions/departments concerning healthcare, insurance, ERISA and other issues applicable to BCBSAZ and its subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Apply Legal judgment to proposed business deals, regulatory filings, relationships or other issues requiring Legal advice.
- Draft, review and negotiate strategic business agreements, including provider, vendor and other agreements.
- Review, summarize and provide Legal advice regarding new and existing statutes, regulations and sub-regulatory guidance.
- Analyze and assist with implementation of federal and state mandates.
- Analyze and assist with Blue Cross Blue Shield Association mandates and requirements.
- Participate on Company and subsidiary/affiliate Boards and Committees, as assigned.
- Represent the Company at nonprofit and other community and strategic events, as requested.
- Represent the Company at certain local and national conferences.
- Perform public speaking activities internally and externally concerning relevant Legal and healthcare issues.
- This position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copies, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, and word processing
Required Professional Competencies
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of Company information.
- Analytical skills necessary to review fact scenarios and applicable law and provide Legal advice.
- Proficient in Legal research and writing.
- Practice interpersonal and active listening to achieve high customer satisfaction and departmental communication standards.
- Establish and maintain working relationships in a collaborative team environment.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Make use of employees' skill and abilities to deliver business objectives.
Preferred Job Skills
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Knowledge of a wide range of subjects pertaining to the organization's service and operations.
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.