SCRUM Master II-III (Agile/ IT)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the Job
Develops Agile-based software development lifecycle creating necessary standards, tools, and best practices in IT. Facilitates one or more SCRUM/Agile teams to deliver quality business results on time and within budget. Assists as organization transitions through the SDLC process by coaching and mentoring staff.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Act as SCRUM master for 1-2 SCRUM teams with a focus on guiding the teams towards process improvement.
- Participate in project teams as necessary.
- Facilitate sprint planning, retrospective and sprint demos.
- Assist product owner with management of backlog.
- Ensure cross-team coordination.
- Maintain relevant metrics that help the team monitor performance.
- Send out regular communication to IT and Business management team.
- Liaise between developers and User Experience/Visual Designers. Foster communication between the disciplines.
- Coach and mentor other SCRUM masters on product team. Ensure consistent processes across teams.
- Work with the larger company network to identify and remove impediments.
- Train new staff in AGILE methodology.
- Act as a project manager when necessary.
- Manage dependencies between scrum team and third parties or between scrum teams.
- Strengthen presence of team as an AGILE center of excellence.
- Actively contribute to the company’s AGILE and Lean Community.
- Create company-wide awareness of activities.
- Initiate new AGILE teams by organizing coaching and mentoring new members.
- Provide personnel feedback to management for improvement opportunities.
- Scale AGILE/SCRUM methodology to large projects by organizing SCRUM of SCRUMS for cross project dependency.
- Review and amend AGILE development processes and provide consultancy to groups for adopting AGILE methodology.
- With management, establish and meet short- and long-term department goals in accordance with overall company objectives and divisional strategic planning.
- Evaluate and enforce established AGILE standards with different SCRUM teams.
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours, including evening and weekend hours, as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
Perform all other duties as assigned.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Skills / Requirements
Required Work Experience
Experience with one AGILE automation tool (TFS, Jira, VersionOne)
Experience facilitating one or more AGILE teams
Experience facilitating multiple AGILE teams
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (All Levels)
Preferred Work Experience
- 5 years of experience in working with healthcare systems as a SCRUM Master (All Levels)
- 5 years of experience managing projects (All Levels)
- 1 year of supervisory experience (Level 4)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration (All Levels)
- SCRUM Master Certification
- PMP certification
Required Job Skills (All Levels)
- AGILE methodology – SCRUM, Kanban. Understanding of other processes and methodologies to be able to leverage various techniques to provide value to a team/enterprise
- Mathematics analysis and inductive reasoning skills.
- Knowledge of analysis and design, structured programming, data mapping, and testing.
- Understanding of the basic fundamentals of iterative development
- Understanding of the basic fundamentals of software development processes and procedures
- Familiarity with common Agile practices, service-oriented environments, and better development practices
- Understanding of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, velocity, and task definition
Required Professional Competencies (All Levels)
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions.
- Ability to implement incremental delivery and track value through metrics
- Ability to notice issues as they arise and elevate them to management
- Ability to facilitate discussions and evaluate alternatives or different approaches
- Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time contstraints.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies (All Levels)
- Assertiveness necessary to ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to
- Create transparency to the business about development and grow business trust
- Ability to take appropriate risks, using available data.
- Ability to build synergy with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment.
Preferred Job Skills (All Levels)
- Intermediate skills with spreadsheet, flowcharting, presentation, word processing, and database software.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with database, programming, and documentation.
- Knowledge of HIPAA security and privacy standards.
Preferred Professional Competencies (All Levels)
- Ability to work with ambiguous and conflicting information while keeping focused on the end goal.
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies