Reporting Analyst - 3 years reporting/Analysis SQL required-SAS Tableau preferred
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal use only-grade 27-28
Provide operational areas with support for day to day operations including business analysis, production, mandated reporting, and systems implementation. Prepare data reports from core corporate repositories to support all operational areas . Analyze reporting trends to provide data driven recommendations for process improvement.
Required Work Experience
- 3 years of experience in reporting/analysis field using analytical tools and processes OR 3 years of coursework in analytics, business, mathematics, statistics, healthcare administration, or related field of study.
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (Applies to All Levels)
Preferred Work Experience
- 4 years of experience in reporting/analysis field using analytic tools and processes (Applies to All Levels)
- 4 years of experience in process improvement (Applies to Levels 3-4)
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent work experience) in analytics, business, mathematics, statistics, healthcare administration, or related field of study (Applies to All Levels)
- Six Sigma / Green Belt Certification (Applies to All Levels)
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developed knowledge of reporting databases, word processing and spreadsheet software
- General knowledge of data in source systems
- Ability to generate standard production reports (quarterly, semi-annually, and yearly) and ad hoc requests
- Ability to design and generate claims data reports as needed to support the business areas and other analysts for claim review.
- Ability to produce required Association reporting as needed
- Maintain and keep organized all supporting audit documentation
- Using process analysis techniques develop potential solutions (both short term and long term) for enhancing reporting; identify and document risks and benefits of solution(s) and develop implementation plan to best mitigate risk points.
- Through analytical problem solving techniques perform assessment(s) of operational reporting. Assist with Identifying business requirements and assist project team with selecting appropriate solutions to business problems or opportunities.
- Assist with development and execution of detailed user acceptance test cases and expected results for report changes. Analyze and review test results with Users and IT to determine final acceptance
- Evaluate alternatives to strategies and develop business contingency plans where necessary
- Assist in organizing and planning roll-out of new reporting functionality within the appropriate business departments.
- Assist in coordinating integration efforts of business process components for new reporting enhancement(s). Assist in identifying process integration issues or vulnerabilities and report them to the appropriate team or management member(s)
- Independently work on data requests with knowledge of BCBSAZ data sources and types.
- Identify data anomalies or variations and report issues to management
- Develop training materials for staff in usage of any new reports use by the operational areas.
- Using process analysis techniques develop potential solutions (both short term and long term) for enhancing or automation of reporting; identify and document risks and benefits of solution(s) and develop implementation plan to best mitigate risk points.
- Through analytical problem solving techniques perform assessment(s) of current reporting. Identify business requirements and select appropriate solutions to business problems or opportunities.
- Escalate detailed project risks and issues to management of the project business units, IT, and project manager.
- Utilize existing reporting tools to develop and execute data queries for ad hoc requests; understand data source structure
DEVELOPING BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS
- Analyze and define requirements through research, data gathering, and brainstorming activities. Conduct functional research and assessment of business needs and develop specifications
- Document business requirements of new capabilities for new reporting in enough detail that operational needs are clearly understood by the IT engineering organization.
TESTING AND INTEGRATION
- Coordinate with IT the requirements of a testing environment for the execution of user testing.
- Develop and execute detailed user acceptance test strategies, test plan and test cases and expected results. Analyze and review test results with Users and IT to determine final acceptance.
- Develop departmental level project plans as input to the entire project. These timelines are heavily concentrated on the workflow analysis, requirements gathering, and testing.
- Develop operational blue prints (business architecture) for new reports.
- Analyze impact of report design across all operational units and raise visibility to affected components.
- Evaluate alternatives to strategies and develop business contingency plans where necessary.
DEVELOPING BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS
- Review and report discrepancies in reporting in accordance to project statement of intent, scope and business requirements to meet business objectives and expectations.
TESTING AND INTEGRATION
- Coordinate integration efforts, performance of activities and delivery of services to ensure successful implementation of identified report changes within the Business Unit and between interdependent Business Unit(s).
- Organize, plan, and facilitate the roll-out of new reporting and functionality within the appropriate business departments.
- Plan and communicate implementation strategy within the Business/operational unit and between interdependent units.
- Demonstrates leadership skills by supporting corporate initiatives through reporting as requested by projects or teams. Can identify requirements through various types of communication.
- Communicate issues, concepts and criteria clearly to department management
- Informs management of any issues impacting the reporting structure and present resolutions including resources and barriers
Level 4 - Lead
- Produce and develop additional department metrics to measure productivity and impact of the department.
- Audit reporting generated by Analyst Level 1-3 to ensure proper data gathering and reporting methods were used.
- Audit of department procedures to ensure staff compliance.
- Provide support and training to analyst within the department / division.
- Produce metrics that are reported at the association level with high accuracy.
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees at those levels.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills
- Intermediate PC proficiency (Applies to Level 1)
- Advanced PC proficiency (Applies to Levels 2 - 4)
- Advanced PC skills in word processing, spreadsheet and database software (Applies to Levels 2 - 4)
- Intermediate PC skills in word processing, spreadsheet and database software (Applies to Level 1)
- Strong skills with query tools
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions based on customer input and research
- Basic knowledge of queries and query related language (SQL)
Required Professional Competencies
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy (Applies to All Levels)
- Prioritizes tasks and time management, sometimes under strict time constraints (applies to All Levels)
- Meets deadlines and department accuracy standards, corporate policies and procedures
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data (Applies to All Levels)
- Capable of investigative and analytical research (Applies to All Levels)
- Practice interpersonal and active listening to achieve high customer satisfaction and departmental communication standards (Applies to All Levels)
- Establish and maintain working relationships in a collaborative team environment (Applies to All Levels)
- Test planning and execution (Applies to All Levels)
- Document business requirements (Applies to All Levels)
- Process flowcharting (Applies to Levels 3 - 4)
- Work session facilitation (Applies to Level 4)
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Support priorities and direction of corporate leadership
- Effectively deal with conflict
- Ability to apply sound management decision making skills to perform effectively in the absence of management
- Ability to present concepts effectively to varying levels of staff (Applies to Levels 2-4)
Preferred Job Skills
- Advanced understanding of BCBSAZ computer systems and databases
- Proficiency in SAS
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Driven to identify solutions to meet customer needs for reporting
- Ability to work with ambiguous and conflicting information while keeping focused on the end goal
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Mentor coworkers on reporting functions (Applies to Level 4)
- Communicate training materials and provide constructive feedback. (Applies to Level 4)
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona