Registered Nurse-Quality Improvement Coordinator
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal use only-grade 28-30
Responsible for analyzing data to develop and implement programs to ensure the delivery of high quality care and high value services. The QI Coordinator supports the optimization of clinical operations through the identification and implementation of initiatives focused on improving operational and program efficiencies and effectiveness. The QI Coordinator performs QI activities in accordance with Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) principles and the Plan, Do, Study, Act (PDSA) methodology.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience
- 3 years quality improvement and health management experience in a healthcare or managed care setting
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, public health, nursing, social work or health related field
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- Master’s degree in healthcare administration, public health, nursing, social work or other health related field
- Licensed Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse or Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Utilization Management and/or Case Management Certification
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) or other quality-related certification
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze, develop, implement and monitor clinical quality improvement initiatives to achieve quality outcomes including activities related to the coordination of the Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS®) Audit; such as selection of HEDIS intervention measures, annual work plan development, roadmap preparation, data collection, medical record audits, analysis, reporting and corrective action plan development.
- Participate in the development and support the implementation of member outreach activities to improve performance and member outcomes.
- Lead, assist and/or coordinate projects as directed by the Quality Department, Committees (QIC, QMC) and other interdepartmental teams (e.g., Status reports for Medical Management Committee, Quality Committee and/or Board of Directors as indicated).
- Participate in development of work plan for improvement of star ratings, CAHPS/HOS strategies and other quality projects as needed.
- Support medical record data review/collection as it relates to performance improvement goals for risk adjustment and quality management purposes, including contractual obligations.
- Collects, reports, analyzes and trends performance standards for departmental performance reports.
- Perform vendor oversight activities such as but not limited to monitoring compliance with service level agreement and contract requirements, and contract development and maintenance.
- Assist in the development, communication and implementation of Quality Management Committee decisions and/or corrective action plans.
- Work in collaboration with key stakeholders to target opportunities for improved quality, risk adjustment, clinical and documentation workflow, member experience and performance.
- Maintain collaborative team relationships with peers, colleagues, and physician practices in order to effectively and efficiently achieve goals and foster a positive work environment.
- Support process improvement to enhance workflow and drive performance improvement.
- Perform duties and functions to comply with quality program requirements and State, Federal, FEP, BCBSAZ, the BCBS Association and other applicable regulatory/accrediting agency standards as they apply to department functions.
- Demonstrate and maintain current working knowledge of the required BCBSAZ systems, procedures, forms and manuals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
Required Job Skills
- Advanced Proficiency with Microsoft office suite applications, Knowledge of CMS, URAC and NCQA standards
Required Professional Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal skills including ability to compose a variety of business correspondence
- Ability to process and evaluate complex data and information sets
- Project Management
- Health care payor business knowledge including supporting processes, operational data and functions
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge to research and make decisions based on available information to complete activities
- Practice interpersonal and active listening skills to achieve customer satisfaction and departmental communication standards
- Knowledge of managed care delivery models across the continuum of care
- Establish and maintain working relationships in a collaborative team environment
- Organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities
- Independent and sound judgment with good problem solving skills
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Ability to use available information to focus project’s scope and identify priorities
- Represent BCBSAZ in the community
- Demonstrate effective presentation skills
Preferred Job Skills
- Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft project
- Knowledge of CPT-4, HCPCS, Hierarchical Condition Category (HCC), ICD-10 coding and Risk Adjustment
- Knowledge of Tableau
- Intermediate data analysis skills
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona