Registered Nurse-Medical Policy Development/Research Specialist
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Perform medical technology research to support the Medical Director Staff and Medical Policy Panel with decisions to ensure that medical policies are consistent with the standards of accepted medical practice in the community.
- Perform medical technology research related to coverage guidelines and new technology and provide evaluation and summarization to Medical Director Staff and/or Medical Policy Panel
- Perform medical technology research as requested by other areas of BCBSAZ thru the Medical Policy Referral Form
- Develop and revise coverage guidelines and criteria as requested by management, Medical Director Staff or Medical Policy Panel
- Communicate medical policy information in protocol format to all areas of BCBSAZ requiring this information
- Participate as a contributing member on the Medical Policy Panel providing medical policy issues for discussion and on the Medical Coverage Benefit Integration Group (McBig)
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all BCBSAZ medical coverage guidelines and other policies, such as BCBS Association Medical Policy Reference Manual and McKesson InterQual Criteria
- From the direction of management, Medical Director Staff or Medical Policy Panel, facilitate external consultant reviews concerning a coverage guideline or new technology. Responsible for initiating the consultation and providing a summarization concerning the external review to the requestor. Responsible for arrangements for appropriate reimbursement for the consultant’s review.
- Communicate medical policy information in protocol format to healthcare providers upon request
- With moderate assistance and review by management, perform basic level of code review
- Meet quality, quantity and timeliness standards to achieve individual and department performance goals as defined within the department guidelines and required by State, Federal and other accrediting organizations
- Maintain all standards in consideration of State, Federal, BCBSAZ and other accreditation requirements
- Working independently, recognizes necessity of an external consultant review concerning a coverage guideline or new technology, summarizing and reporting this information to management to facilitate the process as outlined for Level II
- With review by management, independently perform intermediate code review with knowledge and understanding of coverage guideline development/revisions with recommendations to McBig for integration into benefit programming
- Responsible for the training, development and support of grade level I staff under an established training program
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Skills / Requirements