Project Manager III (Agile/ Matrix/ Healthcare)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal use only: Level 3 Project Manager III (gr 31)
Purpose of the job
- Leads corporate projects, which may cover multiple business areas and multiple systems. Provides support for various definitional portions of the project, including scope, business requirements, reporting and testing. Reports progress to the defined management team of the project as well as the direct line reporting. Contributes to the improvement of the Corporate Project Office team by participating in continuous improvement activities and leading through innovation.
Required Work Experience
- 1 year of experience in a professional environment leveraging computer technology and/or information systems (Level 1)
- 5 years of experience in a professional environment leveraging computer technology and/or information systems and 2 years in project management (Level 2)
- 8 years of experience in a professional environment leveraging computer technology and/or information systems and 3 years in project management (Levels 3 - 4)
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (All Levels)
Preferred Work Experience
- 8 years of progressive experience coordinating and managing projects
- Master’s Degree in Business or Information Systems, or demonstrable finance & accounting acumen
- Agile Practitioner or Project Management Professional
- Lean Enterprise / Continuous Improvement Certification
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Level 1 - Learn and apply: Performs job with general supervision. Projects are usually limited in scope and/or duration; coordination of projects and shadowing of more senior project managers is expected early in the role
- Plan, direct, and coordinate projects and PMO activities to ensure goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters.
- Apply sound project management principles and demonstrate solid time management skills.
- Track and manage projects using Gantt charts, risk registers, and other tracking / communication tools.
- Create and deliver presentations to multiple levels of leadership.
- Produces clear & accurate gate & governance documentation for any projects assigned.
Level 2 - Apply and guide: Performs job with minimal supervision. Projects are broader in scope and/or duration
- Take projects from initial conception to final implementation.
- Define and document project scope, objectives, detailed project plans, schedules, resource plans, and or status reports.
- Confer with project staff to outline work plans and to assign duties, responsibilities, and scope of authority.
- Provide tactical and strategic input on overall planning and systems-related projects. May manage the efforts of sub-contractors and their workforce.
- Produces and keeps updated project artifacts like MS Project schedules in order to drive accurate, automated dashboarding.
Level 3 - guide and shape: Performs job functions in a lead capacity with general management oversight
- Contribute to the further development & maturity of CPM process, tools, and methodology through innovation and continuous improvement.
- Provide input for team member performance reviews.
- Oversee development and implementation of Information Technology practices and policies
- Assist management in production support and project resource planning.
- Infuse projects with continuous improvement / lean /6 Sigma as appropriate
- Evaluate high-level project information and assess project components to forecast work effort required
- Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met
- Provide peer-level review and mentoring to levels 1 and 2
LEAD - shape and mentor: Performs job functions in a lead capacity with general management oversight and holds lead responsibilities
- Lead, instruct, direct and check the work of other team members.
- Provide input and participate in team member performance reviews
- Lead identification, design and implementation of improvements for the efficient and effective performance of the department.
- Assist Manager in the day-to-day operations of the department, as needed.
- Develop staff, including the development and maintenance of training materials for new and existing staff, establishing performance goals and regular follow-up with staff.
- Develop, improve and maintain an effective onboarding strategy for new project managers and coordinators.
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, project management, and word processing software
- Advanced knowledge of project management principles, methodologies, and implementation
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Applications and Suites, Windows Server, and networking applications
- Strong understanding of systems best practices and quality improvement principles.
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Communication with multiple levels of management
- Effective risk and issue management
- Exposure to the health care or health insurance industry
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perseverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Creativity and innovative problem-solving abilities
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business documentation
- Experience working with and managing third parties
- Extensive experience and judgment necessary to plan and accomplish goals.
- Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge to generate reports based on available data and make decisions based on reported data
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation.
- Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment.
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Advanced PC proficiency
- Advanced knowledge of Business Objects
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Applications and Suites, Windows Server, and Microsoft SQL databases.
- Advanced knowledge of decision support systems
- Intermediate knowledge of BCBSAZ applications
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Impeccable project management skills
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- knowledge of internal departments and operations
- Strong technical documentation skills and a strong ability to translate technical concepts so that they are easily understood by laymen.
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Levels 3 - 4)
- Mentor team members and peers
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver lessons to team members
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona