Programmer I-III (.Net/ Azure/ Angular/ SQL)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
JOB LEVEL DEFINITIONS
- Level 1 Programmer I (Grades 26 - 27)
- Level 2 Programmer II (Grades 28 - 29)
- Level 2s Programmer II w/ SCRUM (Grades 28 - 29)
- Level 3 Programmer III (Grades 30 - 32)
- Level 3s Programmer III w/ SCRUM (Grades 30 - 32)
Purpose of the job
- Performs programming and maintenance on various programs and systems based on customer business requirements. Programmer II and Programmer III roles may be combined with SCRUM development responsibilities.
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (Applies to All Levels)
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer technology, business, or related field (Applies to All Levels)
- Technical Certifications in programming languages (Applies to All Levels)
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- With assistance from Programmer III or Lead, maintain and develop basic-level systems and programs.
- Participate in the development, review, and creation of documentation used to support associated systems.
- Design and code basic-level systems, programs, and interfaces, using the appropriate structured programming techniques and programming languages.
- Develop and maintain databases.
- Create logic, system, and program flows.
- Write and execute unit test plans. Track and resolve any processing issues.
- Participate in small to medium projects.
- Create ad-hoc reports for internal and external customers.
- Research, respond to, and finalize questions or requests for research received from internal customers.
- Participate in the review of code and/or systems for proper design standards, content and functionality.
- Assist with development and delivery of presentations to staff and management
- Participate in all aspects of the Systems Development Life Cycle
- Analyze files and map data from one system to another
- Adheres to established source control versioning policies and procedures
- Meet timeliness and accuracy goals.
- Communicates status of work assignments to stakeholders and management.
- With assistance from Programmer III or Lead, maintain and develop moderately complex systems and programs
- Participate or lead medium projects.
- Track and resolve processing problems, coordinating with all appropriate areas
- Assist Users/Analysts with the development of system interface specifications
- Develop, write and implement processing requirements and post implementation review
- Develop time and cost estimates and system modification schedules.
- Create and deliver presentations to staff and management.
- Maintain code base and configuration in development and test system environments.
- Participate or lead large projects.
- Independently maintain and develop complex systems and programs.
- In cooperation with Lead Programmer, mentor and review work for levels 1 and 2.
- Maintain an extensive knowledge of new developments in programming and healthcare-related topics.
- Plan, lead, and implement large-scale or cross-functional projects using sound project management methodology.
- Work with Management to prepare Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for software systems
- Assist in implementing new procedures, including workflows, manuals, and training materials.
- Coordinate and develop training materials for Programmers.
- Participate in technology planning
- Participate in the project prioritization process.
- Train new staff in the use, understanding, and configuration of the files, terms, and methods used in programming.
- Review production and operating policies to ensure that the most efficient processes are in place and determine tactical plans to improve processes and services that can be streamlined and/or improved.
- Define and implement quality assurance procedures for all assigned activities. Implement quality assurance measures to check adherence to assure continuity, including across lines-of-business when appropriate.
- Assume leadership role in initiating and completing projects related to increased efficiencies, productivity, and quality.
- With management, establish and meet short- and long-term department goals in accordance with overall company objectives and divisional strategic planning.
- Develop staff, including the development and maintenance of training materials for new and existing staff, establishing performance goals, regular follow up with staff and year-end performance evaluations.
- Ensure service level agreements are established, monitored and managed effectively. Implement action plans to resolve any issues preventing the area from meeting goals.
- Review and consult on the design and content of projects to ensure consistency.
- Assure the proper change management protocols are followed to maximize benefit and alleviate unnecessary disruption to the organization and customers.
SCRUM Responsibilities (LEVEL 2S AND LEVEL 3S)
Levels 2 and 3 may assume SCRUM responsibilities on an interim or project basis. These functions are in addition to those outlined in Level 2 or Level 3.
- Act as SCRUM master for 1-2 SCRUM teams with a focus on guiding the teams towards process improvement.
- Participate in project teams as necessary.
- Facilitate sprint planning, retrospective and sprint demos.
- Assist product owner with management of backlog.
- Ensure cross-team coordination.
- Maintain relevant metrics that help the team monitor performance.
- Liaise between developers and User Experience/Visual Designers. Foster communication between the disciplines.
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours, including evening and weekend hours, as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIESRequired Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Knowledge of query design and ad-hoc report creation tools.
- Mathematics analysis and inductive reasoning skills.
- Programming languages and coding ability sufficient to meet the requirements at each level of responsibility, as defined in departmental documentation.
- Knowledge of object-oriented analysis and design, structured programming, data mapping, and testing.
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions.
- Perseverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Ability to take appropriate risks, using available data.
- Ability to build synergy with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIESPreferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate skills with spreadsheet, flowcharting, presentation, word processing, and database software.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with database, programming, and documentation.
- Knowledge of HIPAA security and privacy standards.
- Ability to work with ambiguous and conflicting information while keeping focused on the end goal.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona