Program Manager (large-scale/complex project management exp)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal use only: Grade TECH 33-35
Purpose of the Job:
Define and oversee a set of projects that focuses on developing program objectives and strategy. This will require leading other project managers, product owners, scrum masters and IT managers impacted by the program throughout the delivery life cycle from preplanning to program closure. The programs are complex, require development across multiple systems and collaboration across multiple divisions within BCBSAZ.
Planning and Execution
o Take ownership of program development, planning and execution
o Develop and control program budget
o Identify funding opportunities and build relationships with executives
o Manage timely completion of program deliverables
o Ensure quality (fit for purpose) and accuracy of program work outcomes
o Manage program risk
o Drive quick resolution for problems and roadblocks
o Develop and maintain a program schedule with milestones
o Report program status including progress, productivity, issues, risks, success metrics and quality metrics
o Identify and implement process improvements that reduce cycle times, hours of effort, improve speed to market delivery and reduce administrative cost
Communication & Relationship Management
* Serve as a liaison between executives
* Manage program communication
* Coordinate and facilitate program meetings
* Prepare and present overall Program Status in various meetings and where needed, adjust content as needed to
support effective communication with executive leadership team
Project Oversight within the Program
* Provide oversight for projects under the program umbrella
* Ensure that projects are aligned with program goals and objectives
* Lead project managers to achieve desired program outcomes
* Mentor project managers
* Monitor individual project’s health and step in when a project goes offtrack
* Lead teams to achieve quick resolution for project issues
* Provide transparency to project teams into the program and enterprise context of their respective projects
* Manage governance at the program level
* Ensure that projects are compliant with governance processes
* Ensure the quick resolution of governance-related program and project issues
* Maintain high visibility at governance meetings and represent the team well
* Actively monitor governance processes and escalate appropriate issues important to the program
* Review relevant production and operating policies to use the most efficient processes and determine tactical plans
for improving processes and services
* Identify opportunities for synergy with other programs and initiatives
* Align program with organizational goals and objectives
* Contribute to strategic planning activities * Maintain current knowledge of developments in healthcare related industries, new technology in systems design and software, and project management techniques, methodology and software * Maintain project management standards used by BCBSAZ. These standards should reflect the Project Management Institute base standards Quality Assurance * Validate and verify that program deliverables are fit for purpose * Develop and communicate program level success criteria and quality metrics * Apply continuous improvement best practices to optimize performance across the program value chain Integration * Manage integration ensuring that program components integrate as required * Ensure that the program integrates required processes organization-wide * Promote shared approaches where they make sense
* Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
* The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any
additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
* Perform all other duties as assigned
1. Required Work Experience
· 10 years of experience managing large-scale, complex technology and business projects
· 3 years of experience practicing Agile or Lean
· 3 years of program management experience
2. Required Education
* Associates degree in Business, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field.
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
· 12 years of experience managing large-scale, complex technology and business projects
· 5 years of experience practicing Agile or Lean
· 5 years of supervisory or management experience
2. Preferred Education
* Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
* Project Management Professional
* Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) or Certified Enterprise Coach (CEC)
1. Required Job Skills
* Intermediate PC proficiency
* Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, project management, and word processing software
* Advanced knowledge of project management principles, methodoogies, and implementation
2. Required Professional Competencies
* Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
* Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
* Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
* Creativity and innovative problem-solving abilities
* Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
* Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives,
managers, and subject matter experts.
* Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business documentation
* Extensive experience and judgment necessary to plan and accomplish goals.
* Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy * Analytical knowledge to generate reports based on available data and make decisions based on reported data
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
· Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment.
· High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
* Principled leadership and sound business ethics
1. Preferred Job Skills
* Advanced PC proficiency
* Intermediate knowledge of BCBSAZ applications
2. Preferred Professional Competencies
* Impeccable program and project management skills
* Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
* knowledge of internal departments and operations
* Strong technical documentation skills and a strong ability to translate technical concepts so that they are easily
understood by laymen.
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona