Mgr- Small Group Underwriting
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal Use Only
Purpose of the job
- Manages the day-to-day activities of the department. Serves as the primary contact and resource for staff. Provides oversight, direction, development, problem resolution and leadership for the team. Improves quality and business processes for assigned area of responsibility.
Required Work Experience
- 3 years of experience in supervisory/management field
- 3 years of experience in group underwriting or related fields
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 5+ years of experience in supervisory/management field
- 5+ years of experience in underwriting or related fields
- 2+ years of experience in group medical insurance rating
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, mathematics, or related field of study
- Advanced education or certification in underwriting or actuarial principles
- Active, current, and unrestricted AZ (a state in the united states) Department of Insurance Life & Health Insurance License
- Direct, evaluate, define and improve the quality, quantity and timeliness standards to achieve individual and department performance goals as defined within department guidelines.
- Manage renewal and prospective rating for assigned groups. Develop rating techniques for various complex and/or non-standard benefit designs.
- Communicate and negotiate with group consultant firms and group leaders on benefit design and financial arrangements.
- Explain group renewal positions (and methodology when required) to consultant firms and group leaders.
- Provide input for the development of new or revised products and their implementation.
- Work with other departments on development and maintenance of Underwriting Data Systems.
- Provide reports and other information to summarize data and enable effective decision making.
- Administer, interpret and maintain current working knowledge of the required BCBSAZ systems, procedures, forms and manuals as related to the assigned area of responsibly.
- Review, update and ensure accuracy of department documentation, computer files, policies and procedures related to the department goals and objectives.
- Keep staff informed of new or updated standards, systems, procedures, forms and manuals through staff meetings and verbal and written communications.
- Provide guidance, motivation and encouragement to staff, conduct performance evaluations, identify and coordinate training needs, and make determinations regarding disciplinary actions.
- Plan, monitor, and coordinate direct activities needed to support corporate goals and objectives.
- Group size 1-50 Bids
- Sold cases 1-50
- Group size questionnaires
- Renewals 1-50
- CHS Bids and Renewals
- ASC Invoices (and accruals to Finance)
- Retention Accounting settlements and liability
- Form 5500 Information - Schedule A and Schedule C
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing
- General knowledge of the health care industry
Required Professional Competencies
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting principles, guidelines, and methodologies
- Intermediate skill in mathematics and statistics
- General knowledge of the healthcare industry
- Knowledge of health benefit design and rating techniques.
- Knowledge of alternate funding arrangements and their rating.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Communicate professionally to both internal and external customers.
- Analyze and research data, propose solutions to resolve issues.
- Establish, contribute and maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage the work of all assigned personnel.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Ability to optimize resources to ensure a cost effective operation. Includes proactively planning to move staff from one role to another as staffing needs, business priorities or workload changes.
- Ability to build effective teams
- Ability to implement new processes and procedures.
Preferred Job Skills
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with community and professional groups which reflect favorably for the department and BCBSAZ.
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Expert knowledge of health benefit design and rating techniques.
- Expert knowledge of alternate funding arrangements and their rating.
- Ability fo coordinated activities of several departments to resolve issues.
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona