Mgr. - Information Technology (App Dev)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
The IT Manager is an IT professional who leads by empowering Agile teams, is responsible for the recruitment and talent development of IT staff, championing and leading communities of practice, and ensuring quality delivery of technical solutions that bring value to the enterprise. This professional must be highly proficient leading high performance teams to provide quality and timely delivery of business objectives. The IT Manager will also be accountable for technology roadmaps and ensure that teams comply with policies and best practices.
Required Work Experience
- 1 year of leadership experience with proven ability to provide effective technical solutions to meet business needs
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
Preferred Work Experience
- 3 years of IT management experience with demonstrated leadership responsibilities and direct people management
- 2 years of experience managing and leading people in an Agile environment.
- Master’s Degree in business, computer science or related field
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop a culture of trust, accountability, teamwork, high quality results and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrate leadership abilities along with good judgment and decision making skills.
- Monitor individual employee performance; help resolve both technical problems as well as human resources issues.
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development.
- Hold team members accountable for adhering to corporate policies and procedures.
- Hire and coach employees. Manage individual performance objectives and yearly reviews. Develop and maintain high performing teams that provide quality and timely delivery of business objectives.
- Develop, execute and maintain staffing and training plans to ensure the department is appropriately staffed and is able to provide the technical skills needed to support the enterprise.
- Provide recognition and corrective feedback to employees regularly
- Responsible to facilitate and ensure a positive employee experience in the onboarding, engagement and development of new team members in a manner that provides guidance, inspiration and accountability.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to team members on behaviors, processes and techniques required to successfully deliver value to the organization. Remove impediments, manage risks and resolve issues.
- Regularly attend team ceremonies with the exception of Retrospectives. Reinforce Agile practices with team members.
- In partnership with the Product Owner, drive resolution to team capacity issues.
- Remove impediments escalated by Scrum Masters or Product Owners relating to technical roadblocks or personnel issues.
- Responsible for the review of IT Applications assigned to their teams. Accountable for budget oversight and license management. This responsibility also includes, in partnership with Architecture roles, developing and maintaining technology roadmaps for applications to ensure currency, best practice usage and business fit. Ensure that the application roadmap fits into the larger IT strategic plan.
- Expected to have a solid understanding of the projects and issues the teams is involved in and ensure communication of critical successes, issues and incidents to leadership.
- Assist with vendor management, as necessary.
- Ensure the team is completing requisite documentation such as sprint summaries, release notes, scorecards, etc.
- Develop scorecard and KPI metrics to be used for measuring team success and ensure compliance.
- Provide guidance, perform audit and ensure compliance of best practices and standards set forth in the SDLC and by governance committees.
- Responsible for identifying and leading IT best practice, technology enhancements or process improvements, seeking continuous improvement across application delivery teams.
- Facilitate/contribute to at least one "Community of Practice" that sets standards, provides shared knowledge opportunities, and oversees improvements to those specific areas of IT.
- Lead strategic IT objectives that drive improvements necessary to serve the enterprise.
- Contribute ideas to future state technology roadmap definitions and makes recommendations to ensure effective investments are made to enable scale, quality, and maintenance and overall cost effectiveness
- Maintain relationships across the organization to ensure alignment of goals and consistency of practices, processes and timelines.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Job Skills
- The ability to work well in a team environment, and be capable of building and maintaining positive relationships with other staff, departments, and customers.
- Strong leadership, collaboration, and influencing skills are required. Must have the ability to persuade and build consensus cross-functionally as an evangelist in a team oriented fashion.
- Knowledge and experience with application technologies implemented within delivery organization.
- Experience and knowledge in current technical architectures.
Required Professional Competencies
- Ability to take appropriate risks, using available data.
- Ability to build synergy with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment
- Anticipate downstream technical needs and steer architectural designs to appropriately factor in considerations.
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Highly skilled at designing and implementing multiple tier architecture solutions, developing high-performance and secure systems and system integration
- Work effectively with management, product owners, scrummasters, business analysts, developers, technical leader, architects, system administrators, and testers, design, and deliver successful software solutions.
- Able to operate at varying levels of abstraction including business and product strategy, design, and implementation
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Provide leadership, promote teamwork, meet objectives and exercise independent judgment
- Experience leading and implementing projects and working collaboratively with other departments levels
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time contstraints.
Preferred Job Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of Agile practices and application development practices.
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Demostrate flexibility, anticipate customer needs and effectively communicate in a timely manner consistent with the business strategy.
- Advanced tactical planning and decision analysis skills.
- Able to cope with multiple priorities and high customer expectations and bridge the demands between internal and external customers.
- Advanced understanding of information systems, business processes and key drivers and measures fo success.
- Advanced analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are often novel and not readily defined, lack known precedent or appear contradictory.
- Develop solutions by applying accepted processes or create new approaches to leverage technology from abstract information.
- Advanced understanding of HIPAA transactions and privacy requirements.
- Presentation and public speaking abilities.
- Development and application of budgeting concepts, processes and procedures.
- Interpret medical, legal and technical data, including state and federal regulations and their effect on operations.
- Conceptualize new business architecture and infrastructure.
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Identify resources and training needs while fostering opportunities for staff growth Promote and supports the overall quality principles and company quality program.
- Empower associates at all levels and encourage innovation and risk taking.
- Develop an enthusiastic and positive work envirnoment with positive impact to employee engagement
- Negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to create win/win situations.
- Resource management skills.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona