Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the Job
Develops and uses processes and methodologies around creating, loading, maintaining and updating this information in the repository across all systems in the company. This effort will include handling the following corporate capabilities to completely load data into the meta data repository: data modeling tools (ERStudio), data integration tool (SSIS), EDW database platform (IBM PureData System), BI tools (SSRS, Tableau, Business Objects), and transactional data (Sql Server, XML, flat files, import/exports file layouts etc.).
Essential Functions and Job Responsibilities
• Develops and maintains metadata integration strategy and standards
• Establishes metadata management practices to achieve corporate-wide consistency of metadata analysis
• Responsible for the population of repository in the context of the enterprise technology, its source systems, and the Enterprise Data Warehouse. This includes activities such as collecting metadata from ETL and web service jobs.
• Responsible for populating the BCBSAZ metadata repository to meet Data Governance, business, and IT requirements
• Responsible for loading data models, database objects, and other metadata glossaries and workflows into the repository, and for synthesizing to the Enterprise Business Glossary
• Prepares import of catalog definitions from extraneous tool exports to load into the repository
• Maintains data models and information in the repository for all data changes
• Helps teams analyze impact of data-related changes, based on relationships established in metadata
• Supports the data modelers in the maintenance of the logical data models through the project development lifecycle; supports any updates required of the Enterprise Data Model accordingly with new project metadata
• Responsible for ensuring data naming conventions and standards are followed
• Responsible for maintaining the Enterprise Business Data Model
• Serves as metadata consultant on standards, best practices, tools, procedures and workflows
• Maintains a high-level of knowledge and expertise related to health insurance metadata
• Maintainss specifications and keeps current all metadata associated with enterprise databases, tables and fields
• Plans, coordinates and conducts metadata enhancement and remediation to address better discovery for library users
• Creates and maintains metadata mappings between repositories and discovery environment indexing efforts
• Creates and maintains local documentation on metadata standards and application profiles
• Seeks gaps in expected metadata and implement changes to simplify collection and use of metadata
• Monitors metadata usage to identify metadata components for retirement and identify new metadata components of value to the business
• Develops and provides training to others regarding resource description, metadata remediation and metadata management
• Works with a variety of stakeholders to bring together a wide variety of metadata components to build a comprehensible whole
• Responsible for working with IT to administer security of the repository
• Works closely with Data Stewards, Data Architects, Data Modelers, ETL, and BI Teams to ensure metadata is captured and maintained in a timely fashion
• Provides estimates to project managers for effort related to metadata management work
• Stays current on metadata management tools and approaches and makes technology and technique recommendations to improve the metadata management
• Leverages investment in enterprise metadata repository as much as possible
• The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
• Performs all other duties as assigned
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Skills / Requirements
1. Required Work Experience
• 5 years of business-related experience in areas such as analysis, database modeling and design, health insurance data manipulation and understanding
• 5 years of healthcare experience
• 1 year of project management experience
2. Required Education
• High School Diploma or GED in general field of study
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
• 1 year of supervisory experience
2. Preferred Education
• Bachelors degree in business administration, math, computer science or related program
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
1. Required Job Skills
• Proficient SAS, SQL, and Business Objects skills
• Must have conceptual knowledge of the following architectures: datamarts, data warehouses, data lakes, and ETL
2. Required Professional Competencies
• Evidence of positive and productive collaborations working with diverse audiences, constituencies, and colleagues
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Initiative, flexibility and the ability to adapt to a complex, rapidly changing health insurance environment
• Superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to explain complex issues in concise terms to a broad range of constituents.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with all areas of BCBSAZ
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
1. Preferred Job Skills
• Cursory experience and understanding of modeling tools such as Erwin or ERStudio a plus.
2. Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies