Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
- The Metadata Librarian maintains the enterprise metadata repository, a centralized location where business, reporting, and IT users can access the business glossary of terms, search our corporate database catalog, and run data lineage analysis for impact analysis. This role also works with multiple areas of the business to ensure consistent definitions for business terms and expected values for reporting attributes.
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and maintains metadata integration strategy and standards
- Establishes metadata management practices to achieve corporate-wide consistency of metadata analysis
- Responsible for the population of repository in the context of the enterprise technology, its source systems, and the Enterprise Data Warehouse. This includes activities such as collecting metadata from ETL and web service jobs.
- Responsible for populating the BCBSAZ metadata repository to meet Data Governance, business, and IT requirements
- Responsible for loading data models, database objects, and other metadata glossaries and workflows into the repository, and for synthesizing to the Enterprise Business Glossary
- Prepares import of catalog definitions from extraneous tool exports to load into the repository
- Maintains data models and information in the repository for all data changes
- Helps teams analyze impact of data-related changes, based on relationships established in metadata
- Supports the data modelers in the maintenance of the logical data models through the project development lifecycle; supports any updates required of the Enterprise Data Model accordingly with new project metadata
- Responsible for ensuring data naming conventions and standards are followed
- Serves as metadata consultant on standards, best practices, tools, procedures and workflows
- Maintains a high-level of knowledge and expertise related to health insurance metadata
- Maintains specifications and keeps current all metadata associated with enterprise databases, tables and fields
- Plans, coordinates and conducts metadata enhancement and remediation to address better discovery for library users
- Creates and maintains metadata mappings between repositories and discovery environment indexing efforts
- Creates and maintains local documentation on metadata standards and application profiles
- Seeks gaps in expected metadata and implement changes to simplify collection and use of metadata
- Monitors metadata usage to identify metadata components for retirement and identify new metadata components of value to the business
- Develops and provides training to others regarding resource description, metadata remediation and metadata management
- Works with a variety of stakeholders to bring together a wide variety of metadata components to build a comprehensible whole
- Responsible for working with IT for repository changes, version upgrades, and security
- Works closely with Data Stewards, Data Architects, Data Modelers, ETL, and BI Teams to ensure metadata is captured and maintained in a timely fashion
- Provides estimates to project managers for effort related to metadata management work
- Stays current on metadata management tools and approaches and makes technology and technique recommendations to improve the metadata management
- Leverages investment in enterprise metadata repository as much as possible
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Within BCBSAZ and HCA, it is essential that we create a culture of inclusion and opportunity as well as actively guard against bias of any kind. Discrimination and racism are real. Our aim is to empower every member of our team to engage in our mission of improving health for Arizonans. We believe that the power and perspective of diversity and inclusion is in fact, essential to our success in serving clients, achieving our mission and creating a healthy environment for all.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.