Medication Prior Authorization Pharmacist
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
This position is remote within the state of AZ only. This remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed, within the State of Arizona.
- Provide utilization management for drug therapies including; review of prior authorization requests to make determinations for drug therapy according to member benefits and coverage criteria, creation and maintenance of Pharmacy and Medical drug therapy guidelines, development of clinical criteria for review of non-formulary or non-preferred drug requests, and determination and maintenance of applicable prescription limitations (age, gender, quantity, etc.)
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience
- 1 year of experience with specialty medications or direct prior authorization experience
- 1 year of current experience in Diabetes, Cholesterol, Hypertension, Asthma/COPD management
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) degree
- Active, current and unrestricted State of Arizona (a state in the United States) pharmacist license
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 5 years as a practicing pharmacist
- 3 years of experience in the managed care pharmacy field
- 2 years of direct prior authorization experience
- 1 year of experience with ACA formulary and utilization management
- 2 years of experience with Medicare Part D formulary and utilization management
- Working knowledge of MediSpan data system, including GPI drug classification system
- 1 year of current experience performing drug efficacy-cost analysis
- Pharm. D with residency or fellowship preferred
- Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (BCACP)
- Certified Geriatric Pharmacist (CGP)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review prior authorization requests and make determinations for drug products according to member benefits, established treatment protocols and clinical criteria
- Make coverage determinations within the defined turnaround times and meet regulatory requirements
- Responsible for clinical criteria including analysis, monitoring of the industry trends and assist in development of the criteria for the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Develop and design clinical edits to adjudicate claims and enhance drug utilization
- Provide clinical guidance and support to the assigned pharmacy technicians
- Develop and review guideline criteria for prior authorization and non-formulary drugs in support of Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee function and pharmacy benefit design
- Ensure and evaluate quality controls and implement opportunities for performance improvement in pharmacy procedures
- Research drug information to maintain drug knowledge and disease state understanding for application to prior authorization reviews
- Assist to develop and design specialty medication clinical edits for claims adjudication and enhanced drug utilization review
- Provide clinical guidance and support for systematic reviews of prescription claims to meet strategic initiatives
- Reviews policies and procedures related to pharmacy issues
- Works in collaboration with Prior Authorization Supervisor to help with workflows and operational efficiencies
- Provides input into pharmacy technician functions to improve clinical decision making
- Reviews and resolves complaints made by members and providers regarding Prior Authorization, formulary or pharmacy services
- Participates in support of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Meeting to review and keep current Drug Formulary
- Knowledge of utilizing LexiComp, Facts and Comparisions, Micromedex, UptoDate, National guidelines, NCCN etc.
- Collaborate to create clear communication to members and/or providers on prior authorization determinations
- Work in partnership with pharmacy staff to assist in the implementation of utilization management programs
- Educate pharmacy staff on specific utilization management guidelines and processes
- Collaborate with the Pharmacy Director to determine clinical edits to adjudicate claims and enhance drug utilization (e.g. create and maintain coverage policies for quantity limits, step therapies, age/gender limitations)
- Continuously work to streamline and improve the quality of the drug utilization management strategy process and Prior Authorization process
- Be available as a clinical resource to all BCBSSAZ internal staff regarding medication therapy
- Assist in the training and mentoring of pharmacy students
- Support the determination, appeal, and grievance process for the retail, mail order, specialty, and medical prescription benefits
DEMONSTRATES EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT SKILLS:
- Motivates and manages staff to ensure that performance standards are met or exceeded.
- Ensures that adequate in-service education is available to staff members.
- Demonstrates the ability to make decisions, take appropriate action and follow tasks through to completion.
- Recognizes and analyzes the implications of new situations and develops workable solutions to maintain productivity and morale.
- Acts as a role model in demonstrating the customer service standards of the Organization.
- Demonstrates a commitment to personal growth and development by participating in external activities related to professional goals.
- Responds cooperatively to managers and staff members in other departments to promote teamwork.
- Attends administrative meetings as appropriate and contribute ideas for improving efficiency, productivity and customer satisfaction.
- Attends all mandatory education and training courses.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals.
- Participate in quality initiatives; including functions that support audits, reporting, evaluation of quality opportunities and concerns, and creation and implementation of corrective actions as requested.
- Coordinate activities between multiple divisions to achieve desired results.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills
- Proficient in critical literature evaluation skills, including evidence-based medicine principles
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communications.
- Intermediate PC proficiency.
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones.
- Intermediate skill in word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Intermediate skill using departmental BCBSAZ and BCBSA software.
Required Professional Competencies
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong communication skills; must be able to communicate with both internal and external customers while building strategic working relationships
- Flexible skills in an operationally changing environment, with drive for results based on planned objectives.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Interpersonal skills that allow for harmonious relationships with providers, members and coworkers.
- Recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
- Ability to lead by example
Preferred Job Skills
- 1 year experience with drug therapy appeals
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R2906