Manager - Database Administration and SharePoint Administration (Agile/ DevOps)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the Job
- The position is responsible for managing the operations, engineering and deliverables for the Database and SharePoint Administration team; participate in the design, development, testing and implementation of Database and SharePoint technologies. Drives the overall strategy of Database and SharePoint for BCBSAZ.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Database ADMINISTRATION MANAGEMENT
- Responsible for the overall technical director of the Database Service team, including the coordination for the definition of standards for SQL Server administration
- Responsible for distributing work to the Database Services and SharePoint team and scheduling of tasks
- Direct systems design, programming, implementation and modification activities in conjunction with Team Leaders, other IT technical managers, users, and management.
- Analyze design and architectural issues and adjust system design to solve problems in a dynamic environment; align business requirements with enterprise technology alternatives and options. Provide perspective on leading industry trends, and recommend new and emerging technologies.
- Optimize database and SharePoint infrastructure through virtualization, clustering and load balanced technologies and provide Subject Matter Expertise (SME) input into solution design, and optimization for virtualized/cloud solutions
- Ensure integrity of solutions and qualified state during their lifetime; conduct product evaluations and tradeoffs.
- Work with Information Security Services and Corporate Integrity to maintain system and application security
- Responsible for capacity planning of database and SharePoint related infrastructure systems
- Maintain application and database currency
Database and SharePoint Operations
- Oversee day-to-day departmental administration by coaching and motivating managerial staff and departmental personnel to make maximum use of experience and skills.
- Develop staff, including development and maintenance of training materials for new and existing staff, establishing performance goals, regular follow up with staff and year-end performance evaluations.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals. Ensure service level agreements are established, monitored and managed effectively; identify, prioritize, and resolve issues with business areas and vendors
- Monitor quality performance, develop and maintain effective workflows, and seek to maximize system efficiencies.
- Review relevant production and operating policies to ensure that the most efficient processes are in place and determine tactical plans to improve processes and services that can be streamlined and/or improved.
- Drive Data Management and Data lifecycle methodologies through storage optimization, consolidation, and data protection.
- Establish Database Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery planning and testing for Infrastructure systems to achieve Recovery Time Objective established by Business owners
- Perform cost, risk, supportability, effectiveness, and architectural compliance analysis on systems and applications.
- Participate in developing technical strategy; apply and promote technology that optimizes the portfolio of technologies, tools, products, and applications.
- Establish and meet short and long term department goals in accordance with overall company objectives and divisional strategic planning.
- Work business leaders and subject matter experts to use technology to improve business processes, promote the strategic use of information technology, and enable workforce utilization and efficiency.
- Deliver assessment services, develop business cases, design solution architecture, and recommend multi-phased, complex migration programs that address technology, people/organization, and process change.
- Ensure re-use of existing services, solutions and components wherever possible to minimize development or acquisition of new solutions; ensure new solutions are designed and developed in a cost-efficient manner, and meet service quality.
- Partner with other technology leaders to identify points of leverage, integration, and resource sharing.
- Coordinate and manage installations, upgrades, changes and integrations including test design, execution and support
- Develop timelines, work estimates, cost projections, and manage projects to approved guidelines; review and consult on design and technical approach of projects to ensure consistency.
- Review software procurement plans for compliance with IT standards and architectural decisions.
- Provide analytical and programming support and planning for IT projects, initiatives, and systems.
- Ensure change management protocols maximize benefit and alleviate unnecessary disruption.
- Manage use of corporate funds including budgeting, financial management, and reporting. Identify opportunities to achieve administrative efficiencies while maintaining service.
- Provide capacity planning, forecasting, and budgeting of equipment, software, service, and license needs to support Information Technology and our Business partners.
- Review software procurement plans for compliance with IT standards and architectural decisions.
- Conduct vendor negotiations to contain or reduce contract services expense and/or one time purchase expense
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Position may require evening, weekend, or on-call schedules, depending on project requirements and/or system status.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Skills / Requirements
Required Work Experience
- 7 years of experience managing relational database technologies, application, hardware or network support with an emphasis on design, architecture and technical problem solving
- 7 years of application development and ETL support
- 7 years of experience with strategic implementation and maintenance of technology infrastructure
- 5 years of employee management experience
- 3 years of SharePoint management experience
- Associates degree in business, information technology, computer systems, or related field
Preferred Work Experience
- 10 years of experience in designing, implementing and supporting multiple tier application and database solutions.
- 10 years of experience in infrastructure operations or application development
- 7 years of project management experience, preferably within a large-scale, complex, IT organization
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, computer science or related field
- Project Management Professional Certification
- Technical certifications in software architecture and systems design
- ITIL v3 Certification
Required Job Skills
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
- Strong ITIL foundation
- Expert technical skills related to components such as network, server, OS, database, middleware and client
- Advanced knowledge and experience with application technologies implemented within delivery organization
- Advanced skill in computer system validation including SOP development, implementation and adherence
- Advanced Knowledge of hardware, software, operating systems, and applications.
- Knowledge of Microsoft, UNIX, and LINUX operating systems.
- Experience working with high volume, transactional, large capacity systems in a 24x7 environment.
- Robust experience and knowledge in current technical architectures.
Required Professional Competencies
- Ability to take appropriate risks, using available data.
- Ability to build synergy with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment
- Anticipate downstream technical needs and steer architectural designs to appropriately factor in considerations.
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions..
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Highly skilled at designing and implementing multiple tier architecture solutions, developing high-performance and secure systems and system integration
- Work effectively with management, project managers, business analysts, developers, engineers, architects, system administrators, and QA to conceive, design, and deliver successful software solutions.
- Able to operate at varying levels of abstraction including business and product strategy, design, and implementation
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Provide leadership, promote teamwork, meet objectives and exercise independent judgment
- Experience leading and implementing projects and working collaboratively with other departments levels
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time contstraints.
Preferred Job Skills
- Expert knowledge designing highly redundant, scalable, multi-tier enterprise transaction processing systems from front end to back end.
- Knowledge of HIPAA security and privacy standards.
Preferred Professional Competencies
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies