Manager - Broker Contracting and Commissions
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
Responsible for planning, organization, development, execution, and direction of the Broker Contracting & Commissions team. Assures the timely and accurate servicing of inbound phone calls, written correspondence, and broker maintenance functions. Performs commission configuration enabling fast-to-market incentive strategies for the external broker channel. Maintains oversight and accountability for broker data quality throughout the enterprise. Oversees the timely and accurate payment of external commissions to our broker community by conducting payout processes on a monthly basis. Identifies and removes impediments to successful operations. Responsible for oversight, compliance, and internal/external audits related to brokers who market regulated product lines.
Required Work Experience
- 2 year(s) of experience in business analysis in a health care or insurance field
- 2 year(s) of experience working directly with enrollment, billing, or commission systems
- 2 year(s) of experience in a customer service role (internal/external facing)
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (All Levels)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 2 year(s) of experience in a lead, supervisor, or manager role
- 2 year(s) of experience in managing a broker service and/or commission servicing team
- 2 year(s) of experience with regulated product lines (Medicare Advantage, Medicare PDP, and Federally Facilitated Marketplace)
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Computer Information Systems, Finance, Accounting, or related field
- Unrestricted Arizona Producer’s License for Life, Accident, and Health lines of authority
- Certified Scrum Product Owner
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the broker contracting and commissions team
- Serve as a recognized subject matter expert for all facets of broker contracting and commission operations
- Manage business project scope within the broker domain to ensure continuity and accuracy of broker commission payments
- Ensure Service Level Agreements with our broker community are met and/or exceeded
- Monitor and manage departmental expenditures to ensure adherence to the annual operational budget
- Mentor, develop and maintain competent staff to carry out assigned functions
- Collaborate closely with partners in Finance, Underwriting, Sales, and other business areas to ensure optimization and success of commission operations
- Serve as a focal point for commission configuration, providing solutions to meet and/or exceed the needs of our Individual, Government, and Commercial segments
- Represent the department in stakeholder meetings with Sales, Information Technology, Leadership, and other relevant partners. Participate in meetings and decision-making processes that relate to the broker domain.
- Research and analyze data integration issues, commission discrepancies, and other related incidents between BCBSAZ and our commission software vendor
- Develop, test, and deploy commission changes as required. Engage with the commission software vendor, as needed, to develop changes of moderate to major complexity.
- Must have the ability to make appropriate decisions based on information at hand with the ability to focus on the big picture while looking for opportunities for improvement.
- Provide motivation and encouragement to subordinates, conduct performance evaluations, identify and coordinate training needs, and make determinations regarding disciplinary actions.
- Develop strategic relationships with internal stakeholders and the external broker community to improve the standing of BCBSAZ in the marketplace
- Perform any additional tasks and duties as assigned by leadership
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
Required Job Skills
- Proficient with telephonic, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Proficient skills in word processing and spreadsheet software
- Exceptional PC proficiency
Required Professional Competencies
- Capable of investigative and analytical research
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and make decisions based on reported data
- Practice interpersonal and active listening
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships in a collborative environment
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Ability to build effective teams
Preferred Job Skills
Preferred Professional Competencies
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Ability to optimize the use of resources at all times to ensure cost effective operations. This includes proactively planning to shift staff from one function to another as staffing needs change, business priorities change, or as workload changes or challenges require.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona