Internship - Actuarial Reimbursement (Fall 2022 and Spring 2023, 2 opportunities available) (Remote AZ)
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
The remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed within the State of Arizona.
Purpose of the Job
Support various projects specific to: provider negotiations, network development, value-based care, alternative payment models, fee schedule derivation, reimbursement policy, financial contract risk efforts, transparency laws, and other medical cost containment and value solutions.
REQUIRED & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Required Work Experience
- College-level coursework related to actuarial science, mathematics, economics, statistics, analytics, data science, healthcare administration, biostatistics, healthcare innovation, or related field
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
- At least 2 years attendance at an accredited school pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field to these listed above.
- One or more exam passed by the Society of Actuaries.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
INTERN - Performs job Functions under general supervision or peer review
- Assist with analyses in support of providing analytical solutions to current and new projects.
- Contribute to ad-hoc projects. Be able to research ideas and items in a usable way from internet sources.
- Assist in creating and modifying reports.
- Participate in transforming data into meaningful and actionable information.
- Validate accuracy of files and analysis. Be aware of standards and be able to explain if results deviate from those standards, and why.
- Find solutions to basic problems, and finding more efficient ways in delivering quality products and analyses.
Required Job Skills
- Basic skill in use of office equipment, including computers, phones
- Basic proficiency in PC, databases, presentations, and word processing software
- Basic proficiency in spreadsheet software
Preferred Job Skills
- Able to program in SAS coding language or SQL and/or use SAS tools to pull and manipulate data.
Required Professional Competencies
- Ability to understand problems and approach solutions using basic mathematical modeling.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy.
- Ability to research questions and understand if derived answers are reasonable.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.