Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Responsible for promoting continuity of care through a collaborative process that assesses, plans, implements, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates care options and services available to members through their benefit plan that meet the individuals' health care needs while promoting quality, cost effective outcomes. This job description is primary for case management functions but can assist with utilization management if a business need arises.
- Assess and collect data related to the member from all care settings. Interview and collaborate with case-related providers, member and family to implement the care plan.
- Answer a diverse and high volume of health insurance related customer calls on a daily basis.
- Explain to customers a variety of information concerning the organization’s services, including but not limited to, contract benefits, changes in coverage, eligibility, claims, BCBSAZ programs, provider networks, etc.
- Analyze medical records and apply medical necessity criteria and benefit plan requirements to determine the appropriateness of benefit requests.
- Present status reports on all cases to the manager/supervisor and, when indicated, to the medical director.
- Consult and coordinate with various internal departments, external plans, providers, businesses, and government agencies to obtain information and ensure resolution of customer inquiries.
- Meet quality, quantity and timeliness standards to achieve individual and department performance goals as defined within the department guidelines.
- Maintain all standards in consideration of state, federal, BCBSAZ, URAC, and other accreditation requirements.
- Maintain complete and accurate records per department policy.
- Demonstrate ability to apply plan policies and procedures effectively.
- When indicated to assist with team/project functions:
- Collaborate with team to distribute workload/work tasks;
- Monitor and report team tasks;
- Communicate team issues and opportunities for improvement to supervisor/manager;
- Support/mentor team members.
- Participate in continuing education and current development in the field of medicine, behavioral health and managed care at least annually.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.