Instructional Designer - Healthcare e-Learning Content Developer
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Partners with subject matter experts to rapidly design, develop and deploy technical learning content for health plan operations end-users and business partners. Utilizes new and evolving technology, applies instructional design best practices and adult learning principles to deliver high-quality, interactive learning experiences. Performs curriculum assessment and revision; writes and edits training materials and provides constructive feedback for curriculum-based education courses. Follows department standards to design and develop, assess, and maintain content in a variety of mediums.
Required Work Experience
- 2 years of experience in instructional design, with specific experience in designing virtual facilitator led courses, e-learning and blended learning projects
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (Applies to All Levels)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 5 years of experience in instructional design and curriculum development, from needs analysis to course evaluation, with specific experience in designing micro-learning, e-learning and blended learning projects
- Previous leadership experience in managing the training function
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Instructional Design/Development, education, adult learning or related field of study
- Instructional Design certification
course design, development and delivery
- Conduct needs assessment to define course objectives and identify methods of training for required learning outcomes
- Apply adult learning principles and best practices to design, develop and implement training courses to meet defined customer needs. Including, but not limited to, evaluating a broad range of delivery methods: instructor-led, on-line, micro-learnings, gamification, multimedia programs and job aids.
- Develop course objectives, content outlines and methodology, and revise as necessary
- Develop instructional materials using BCBSAZ Workforce Development standardized templates, branding and processes
- Develop and conduct evaluation of training materials to ensure effectiveness and recommend improvements to existing materials and delivery methods
- Serve as a department/organizational resource for design and development knowledge, adult learning principles, authoring tools and examples for writing training documentation
- Incorporate new technologies and practices into new and existing training
- Develop micro-learnings, videos, simulations, skills assessments, record narration and publish to the Learning Management System or other designated location
needs assessment and organizational relationships
- Recommend training methodology based on training needs assessment and customer’s requirements
- Keep stakeholders advised of status/results of procedural changes resulting in course material revisions
- Maintain working relationship with stakeholders and subject matter experts to keep current on system changes that require written procedures, work flow or processing changes
- Maintain course files in accordance with department standards using the department formatting guidelines and documentation development tools
- Consult with all levels of management on design of course materials and delivery methods. Identify and recommend training and non-training solutions.
- Apply knowledge of adult learning principles, learning technologies and instructional design techniques to all projects and inform management of new technology, and techniques that should be considered for evolving business partner and stakeholder learning needs.
- Develop the level of Subject Matter Expertise for BCBSAZ’s Learning System Management to advise and recommend new capabilities to management
- Create detailed project plans for all project assignments and use project management skills to set priorities
- Assist in reviewing and implementing system enhancements and testing Learning Management System capabilities
- Coordinate projects as assigned related to corporate quality and service improvements
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Required Job Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to craft professional, clear, written communications.
- Intermediate proficiency in BCBSAZ systems, MS Office products and virtual meeting software
- Proficiency in content authoring, e-learning, online/virtual learning, gamification and micro-learning software
Required Professional Competencies
- Intermediate skill/ability to speak professionally in a public/classroom venue
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Author new technical documentation and course curriculums
- Author new e-learning, online/virtual courses, gamification and micro-learning courses
- Interpret and translate policies, procedures, programs and guidelines
- Capable of investigative and analytical research
- Use best practices to ensure course flow, appropriate verbal and visual examples, analogies and stories to explain concepts.
- Develop activities to effectively assess and demonstrate learner proficiency in course objectives
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to listen and assimilate information from a variety of sources and subject-matter experts
- Strong organizational skills with ability to handle multiple and changing priorities and make independent decisions within authority level
- Follow and accept instruction and direction
- Establish and maintain working relationships in a collaborative team environment
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Must take initiative to identify best practices and new learning tools/techniques
- Anticipate stakeholder needs and make appropriate recommendations to management for implementation
Preferred Job Skills
- Advanced proficiency in BCBSAZ systems, MS Office products and virtual meeting software
- Advanced proficiency in content authoring, e-learning, online/virtual learning, gamification and micro-learning software
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Knowledge of a wide range of subjects pertaining to the organization's service and operations
- Initiate and maintain professional network contacts to collaborate with other Blue’s plans
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona