Healthcare Economics Strategist - Remote
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
This remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed, within the State of Arizona.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Leads analytical cost of care strategy to support the delivery of high-value care on behalf of members and the healthcare field.
The position will lead efforts in transforming data into meaningful and actionable cost of care information for various customer
segments; performing strategic data analysis and research to support a corporate affordability strategy that ensures
appropriate, accurate and predictable outcomes; and establishing reliable methods to analyze and help predict future cost
1. Required Work Experience
· 7 years of actuarial or financial experience, including Medicare Advantage, business reporting and provider payment
· 7 years of working in a flexible, customer-centric team environment while leading cross-functional initiatives and/or
· 7 years of healthcare experience or health industry experience
· 3 years of P&L oversight or monthly financial close process experience
2. Required Education
· Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, business, finance, statistics, or related field
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
· 10 years of actuarial or financial experience, including rate development, business reporting and provider payment
· 10 years of working in a flexible, customer-centric team environment while leading cross-functional initiatives and/or
· 10 years of healthcare experience or health industry experience
· 5 years of financial experience on customer-facing or customer-driven projects
2. Preferred Education · Master’s degree in business administration or related field
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
· Fellow or Associate of the Society of Actuaries or Certified Public Accountant
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Serves as the lead for the development of medical and pharmacy trend analysis, cost reporting, complex data visualization, vendor performance, and related savings analysis. * Works with Analytics & Data Science team, Actuarial Services, and Finance to create reporting and analytical insights related to unit cost and utilization. Transform disparate data sources into strategic knowledge. Seek opportunities to reduce cost while increasing quality of care and member value proposition. * Serve as an internal consultant to define business questions, transform data and analysis into meaningful and actionable information for a variety of customer segments and help end users interpret and apply analytic results. * Supports and foster relationships with external stakeholders, which may include consumers, payers, employers and the government. Work with external stakeholders to assemble collaborations and facilitate partnerships that create value in health care. * Deep-dives monthly results looking for cost of care opportunities, trends and works closely with other functional leaders to implement corrective actions or strategic initiatives. * Monitor external economic and healthcare issues affecting trends, preparing succinct, easy to understand presentations of results and conclusion. * Provides and coordinates cost of care analytics for projects that impact our customers and providing ROI-analysis on new initiatives and programs. * Plan and lead complex projects from inception to completion. Includes working independently on creating timelines, working with other areas to define deliverables, monitoring progress, implementing the project and resolving/monitoring post-implementation issues.
* Works collaboratively with other Analytics & Data Science members to drive the overall success of the cost reduction goals of BCBSAZ. Maintains effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals. Trains others on financial and analytics topics as appropriate. * The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements. * Build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, partners, and vendors. * Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Required Job Skills
· Intermediate PC proficiency.
· Basic skill in word processing and presentation software.
· Strong skills in database, spreadsheet, business intelligence, statistical, and data cubing software
2. Required Professional Competencies
* Superior analytical skills
* Strong and effective written, verbal and presentation skills with the ability to collaborate with team members and
business stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
* Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
* Technical ability to resolve complex business and actuarial issues.
* Ability to deal with the unpredictability of the insurance business and minimize the variance between predicted and
* Strong customer service skills.
* Interpersonal skills that allow for strong collaboration in a fast-moving, customer-centric environment
* Recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions.
* Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities.
* Ability and experience to assimilate multiple new functions, services, projects and systems while maintaining existing
systems and programs.
2. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
· High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
· Principled leadership and sound business ethics
1. Preferred Job Skills
2. Preferred Professional Competencies
· Expertise with SAS, Business Objects or other graphical business intelligence tools
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.