Healthcare Economics Lead - Remote within AZ
Awarded a Healthiest Employer, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona aims to fulfill its mission to inspire health and make it easy. BCBSAZ offers a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
This position is remote within the state of AZ only. This remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed, within the State of Arizona.
Purpose of the job
Develops and prepares healthcare economic analysis and reporting to support the delivery of high-value care on behalf of members and the healthcare field. The position will lead efforts in transforming data into meaningful and actionable cost of care information for various customer segments; performing strategic data analysis and research to support a corporate affordability strategy that ensures appropriate, accurate and predictable outcomes; and establishing reliable methods to analyze and help predict future cost trends.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience
- 5 years of actuarial or healthcare economics experience, including cost trend analysis, rate/pricing development, and provider payment methodologies.
- 5 years of working in a flexible, customer-centric team environment while leading cross-functional initiatives and/or projects specific to healthcare value.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, business, finance, statistics, or related field
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 7 years of actuarial or healthcare economics experience, including cost trend analysis, rate/pricing development, and provider payment methodologies.
- 7 years of working in a flexible, customer-centric team environment while leading cross-functional initiatives and/or projects specific to healthcare value.
- 5 years of financial experience on customer-facing or customer-driven projects
- Master’s degree in business administration or related field
- Fellow or Associate of the Society of Actuaries or Certitied Public Accountant
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as a lead for the development of medical and pharmacy trend analysis, cost of care reporting and analytical insights, complex data visualization, vendor performance, and related savings analysis.
- Deep-dives monthly results looking for cost of care opportunities, trends and works closely with other functional leaders to implement corrective actions or strategic initiatives.
- Supports, mentors, and helps develop other healthcare economic analysts in the Finance division..
- Independently provides and coordinates cost of care analytics for projects that impact our customers and provides ROI analysis on new initiatives and programs.
- Serves as an internal consultant to define business questions, transform data and analysis into meaningful and actionable information for a variety of customer segments and help end users interpret and apply analytic results.
- Transforms disparate data sources into strategic knowledge. Prepares succinct, easy to understand presentations of results and conclusion.
- Seeks opportunities to reduce costs while increasing quality of care and member value proposition.
- Monitors external economic and healthcare issues affecting trends.
- Works collaboratively with other Analytics & Data Science members to drive the overall success of the cost reduction goals of BCBSAZ. Maintains effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals. Trains others on financial and analytics topics as appropriate.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, partners, and vendors.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Plans and leads complex projects from inception to completion. Includes working independently on creating timelines, working with other areas to define deliverables, monitoring progress, implementing the project and resolving/monitoring post-implementation issues.
Required Job Skills
- Strong skills in database, spreadsheet, business intelligence, statistical, and data cubing software
- Ability to query data warehouses using SAS, SQL, or other business intelligence tool
- Intermediate PC proficiency.
- Basic skill in word processing and presentation software.
Required Professional Competencies
- Superior analytical skills
- Strong and effective written, verbal and presentation skills with the ability to collaborate with team members and business stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Technical ability to resolve complex business and actuarial issues.
- Ability to deal with the unpredictability of the insurance business and minimize the variance between predicted and actual outcomes.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Interpersonal skills that allow for strong collaboration in a fast-moving, customer-centric environment
- Recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities.
- Ability and experience to assimilate multiple new functions, services, projects and systems while maintaining existing systems and programs.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Experience with directing and reviewing healthcare analytics
- High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
- Principled leadership and sound business ethics
Preferred Job Skills
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Expertise with SAS, Business Objects or other graphical business intelligence tools
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.