General Manager, Government Business Segment
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Oversee the profit and loss (P&L) of the Government Business Segment, including responsibility for strategic planning, product development, plan pricing, compliance, underwriting, marketing and operations to drive segment growth. Develop and execute strategic and financial plans for all aspects of the customer segment. Requires experience in setting and achieving growth targets, including revenue, cost of care, administrative expense and margin.
Manage both the revenue and cost elements of the Government Business Segment’s income statement / profit and loss responsibility. * Manage overall operations and productivity for the Government Business Segment. * Plan, delegate, coordinate, staff, and make decisions to attain desirable profit making results for the Government Business Segment. * Develop the Government Business Segment strategic plan by studying market conditions, financial opportunities; and corporate objectives. * Identify and analyze risks associated with the Government Business Segment. Minimize risk of financial loss. * Achieve target budgets. * Manage and interpret data for sound decision making. * Work with actuarial and healthcare economics to forecast risk and liability. * Determine premium rates for the Government Business Segment. * Ascertain cash reserves necessary to ensure payment of future benefits.
* Oversee day-to-day departmental administration by coaching and motivating managerial staff and departmental
personnel to make maximum use of experience and skills.
* Monitor quality performance measures, develop and maintain effective workflows, and maximize system efficiencies.
* Manage use of corporate funds including budgeting, financial management, and reporting. Identify opportunities to
achieve administrative efficiencies while maintaining service.
* Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals.
* Participate in strategic planning activities and contribute to departmental and cross-functional teams to achieve BCBSAZ
goals and ensure future success.
* Coordinate activities between multiple divisions to achieve desired results.
* Support BCBSAZ’s Core Value of maintaining a heritage of service through community involvement.
* The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any
additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
* Perform all other duties as assigned.
* Candidates must reside in AZ and may require local (West Region) travel.
1. Required Work Experience
* 10 years of health insurance industry experience, specifically focused in finance, business leadership, underwriting,
and/or product development.
* 3 years of experience working with compliance requirements for the Government Business Segment.
* 3 years of experience with finance and planning for Medicare Advantage, Medicaid and supplement plans
2. Required Education
* BA or BS degree in healthcare administration, business management, or related field
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
* 15 years of experience in healthcare industry that includes leadership experience, business management, financial
reporting and budgeting, development of strategic plans, and managing large organizations.
2. Preferred Education
* MA or MS in healthcare administration, business management, or related field
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
Required Job Skills
* Exceptional written and verbal communications.
* Ability to communicate with and influence constituents and stakeholders
2. Required Professional Competencies
* Comfort in new ventures, * Ability to make decisions. * Collaborative style, coupled with an unwillingness to accept "no" and a natural aptitude for creative solutions. * Ability to quickly identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues. * Ability to forge strong cross-functional relationships with internal stakeholders. * Management skills in an operationally changing environment, with drive for results and success of objectives. * Strong knowledge of the healthcare industry. * Ability to recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions. * Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities. * Ability to assimilate multiple new functions, services, projects and systems while maintaining existing systems.
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
* High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
* Principled leadership and sound business ethics
1. Preferred Job Skills
2. Preferred Professional Competencies
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona