Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the Job
Analyze and evaluate data in one or more specialty areas including, but not limited to business operations/processes, budgets, and financial systems. Tasks may include, preparing financial reports, technical report writing, monitoring budget, maintaining records, analyzing data, and developing budget forecasts.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
• Performs analysis of data and application of applicable professional principles and standards.
• Applies knowledge of accounting functions or principles, general business practices, collection procedures, and/or applicable computer systems.
• Demonstrates ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile, and evaluate data.
• Interacts frequently with internal and external customers using both verbal and written communication skills to discuss financial processes or issues.
• Works with both external and internal auditors on financial requests
• Implements and maintains internal financial controls and measures
• Has knowledge of state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
• The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
Within BCBSAZ and HCA, it is essential that we create a culture of inclusion and opportunity as well as actively guard against bias of any kind. Discrimination and racism are real. Our aim is to empower every member of our team to engage in our mission of improving health for Arizonans. We believe that the power and perspective of diversity and inclusion is in fact, essential to our success in serving clients, achieving our mission and creating a healthy environment for all.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Skills / Requirements
1. Required Work Experience
• 3 years of experience in accounting or finance field (level 1)
• 5 years of experience in accounting or finance field (level 2)
2. Required Education
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business, or related field
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
• 7 years of experience in accounting or finance field
2. Preferred Education
• Master’s Degree in accounting, business, or related field of study
3. Preferred Licenses
• Certified Public Accountant Certification (CPA)
4. Preferred Certifications
1. Required Job Skills
• Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
• Intermediate PC proficiency
• Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing
2. Required Professional Competencies
• Prioritize, organize and self-manage in a high volume environment
• Technical and Functional Expertise
• Understanding the Business
• Achieving Results
• Serving the Customer
• Interpersonal and Communication Skills
3. Required Leadership and Personal Effectiveness Competencies
• Communicate professionally to both internal and external customers.
• Act with diplomacy and sensitivity with our customers and internal departments.
• Interpret and translate policies, procedures programs and guidelines to customers.
• Analyze and research data, propose solutions to resolve issues.
• Maintain confidentiality and privacy
• Establish, contribute and maintain a positive and productive work environment.
1. Preferred Job Skills
• Advanced PC proficiency
2. Preferred Professional Competencies
• Knowledge of a wide range of matters pertaining to the organization's operations
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies