FEP Financial Analyst - Accountant
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
- Serves FEP and Enterprise leadership as key financial analyst, accountant, and strategist for the Federal Employee Program. Interfaces regularly with key internal and external stakeholders in support of the Program (i.e. FEP Director’s Office personnel). Prepares and effectively presents financial strategies, reporting, analyses, and recommendations with communication tailored to the target audience (whether financial or non-financial audiences). Demonstrates effective and credible financial leadership presence in representing the FEP and Enterprise leadership teams.
- Analyze and evaluate data in one or more specialty areas including, but not limited to business operations/processes, budgets, and financial systems. Tasks may include, preparing financial reports, technical report writing, monitoring budget, maintaining records, analyzing data, and developing budget forecasts.
Required Work Experience
- 3 years of experience in accounting or finance field (level 1)
- 5 years of experience in accounting or finance field (level 2)
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business, or related field
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 7 years of experience in accounting or finance field
- Experience supporting government programs or the Federal Employee Program preferred
- Master’s Degree in accounting, business, or related field of study
- Certified Public Accountant Certification (CPA) strongly preferred
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Federal Employee Program (FEP) accounting and reporting to include monthly journal entry preparation, monthly account reconciliations, quarterly cost report submissions, monthly cost center reviews, annual Advance Intelligence Questionnaire, quarterly forecasting, annual plan, annual budget submission, audit requests, analyze and interpret various FEP bulletins, etc.
- Perform high-level and detailed analysis of data and application of applicable professional principles and standards.
- Apply knowledge of accounting functions or principles, general business practices, collection procedures, and/or applicable computer systems.
- Demonstrate ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile, and evaluate data for aberrancies, reasonability and accuracy to provide recommendations for financial resolution to leadership.
- Interact frequently with internal and external customers using both verbal and written communication skills to develop and maintain financial strategies and measures in support of the FEP program.
- Work with both external and internal auditors on financial/audit requests
- Implement and maintain internal financial controls and measures
- Has knowledge of state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
- This position requires a full time work schedule. Full time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Out of state travel may be required.
Expectations by Level
Level I-Ask questions/ability to analyze data and identify issues.
Level 2-Identify issues and is able to resolve independently. Actively seek process improvements.
Level 3-Identify less obvious issues timely and lays out solid options to consider. Actively seek process improvements.
Level I-Ability to learn and apply learned concepts. Learn and use business application as required for job.
Level 2-Demonstrate good understanding of data and financial principles. Proficient in Excel to create effective and efficient reports.
Level 3-Can simplify complex processes and willing to re-engineer processes from scratch. Able to consider appropriate use of software/tools for each job.
Level I-Observe work hours, manages PTO and notifies manager of schedule changes. Utilize existing processes and methods for efficiency.
Level 2-Begin to separate and combine tasks into an efficient workflow. Find ways to work smarter that produces the work in less time.
Level 3-Identify material factors in the analysis. Lead team on multiple projects/tasks effectively by communicating, planning and meeting goals set.
Level I-Analyze own work and checks for correctness. Does not repeat errors.
Level 2-Contribute by peer reviewing co-workers work.
Level 3-Find new ways to improve accuracy.
Level I-Respectful of others, build credibility and rapport by responding timely to inquiries and admitting to mistakes.
Level 2-Does not become defensive when encountering resistance. Able to maintain composure under stress.
Level 3-Confidently lead team(s) on projects and provide feedback and training.
Level 1-Set and meet reasonable deadlines. Give ample notice to management regarding delays or help needed.
Level 2-Able to plan projects and set priorities with some assistance from management.
Level 3-Lead projects independently with minimal assistance. Keep management well informed.
Level 1-Is proactive with little to no dead time.
Level 2-Ask why we do things. Take interest in expanding current knowledge and make recommendations beyond specific assignments.
Level 3-Look for new ways to improve. Research beyond specific assignment. Make suggestions and implement new ways to improve.
Level 1-Communicate effectively with co-workers and other departments with little spelling and grammar errors.
Level 2-Able to effectively summarize/present assigned projects with overview and status.
Level 3-Able to summarize complex issues/projects. Provide meaningful answers to questions regarding work performed.
Required Job Skills
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Advanced PC proficiency
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing
- Advanced financial systems skills
Required Professional Competencies
- Prioritize, organize and self-manage in a high volume environment
- Technical and Functional Expertise
- Understanding the Business
- Achieving Results
- Financial decision making
- Customer service oriented
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
Required Leadership and Personal Effectiveness Competencies
- Communicate professionally and effectively to both internal and external customers.
- Act with diplomacy and sensitivity with our customers and internal departments.
- Interpret and translate policies, procedures programs and guidelines
- Analyze and research data, propose solutions to resolve issues.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Establish, contribute and maintain a positive and productive work environment.
Preferred Job Skills
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Knowledge of a wide range of matters pertaining to the organization's operations
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona