EDW Product Owner - Remote AZ
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
This remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed, within the State of Arizona
About the Job
The Product Owner works in a highly dynamic environment, engaging and coordinating the activities with internal stakeholders, business, software developers, quality assurance, contractors, to drive flawless development of Enterprise Data Warehouse products. This role will gather, define, and translate user needs and business requirements into viable software product requirements across the software development lifecycle. This role requires strong healthcare domain experience (hands-on technical implementation experience on claims, data warehouse projects). This is a hybrid role between technical delivery and analysis of business & technical requirements.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and project team to define, prioritize, and complete a feature backlog, roadmap, and software requirements.
- Partner with key stakeholders across multiple business units, translate business requirements to technical user stories that further our platform vision.
- Analyze, manage, and track the status of requirements throughout the product and development lifecycle; enforce and redefine, as necessary.
- Must have prior experience as technical product owner and Healthcare data/business analyst
- Must have technical project management experience leveraging agile methodologies
- Hands-on experience in a technical delivery role implementing data integration, data analytics and data warehousing projects
- Must have excellent presentation and technical & non-technical stakeholder communication experience
- Facilitate sprint grooming, sprint planning and software delivery across multiple onshore and offshore scrum teams using Agile methodology.
- Prior data modeling & data architecture
- Hands-on delivery experience leveraging ETL tools/technologies a plus
Purpose of the job
Work with key business and IT partners to develop strategic plans, provide tactical execution and business integration of all analytic data store initiatives (Enterprise Data Warehouse and Data Lake). Works to prioritize ingestion, curation and maintenance efforts, and works with data governance to define process policies, practices, guidance around the EDW and Data Lake.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience (All Levels)
- 5 years of experience in healthcare, insurance or related field
- 3 years of experience in a role with demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse groups of people inside and outside of the business
- 2 years of experience in decomposing high-level initiative information and evaluating the components to forecast work effort required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field
- Achievement of agile product owner certification within 12 months of placement
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience (All Levels)
- 5 years of experience in healthcare or insurance field with emphasis on Business Analysis and/or computer technology including EDI
- 5 years of experience in a role with demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse groups of people inside and outside of the business
- 3 years of experience working with Agile / Scrum work environments as a product owner, writing user stories, and following the development process through user story acceptance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field
- Agile Product Owner Certificatio
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Level 1 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision
- Plan, direct, and coordinate projects to ensure goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters.
- As Product Owner, lead the design and development of our Data Lake Implementation and lead maintenance and enhancements of our Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW).
- Be responsible for the EDW and Data Lake roadmap (new data sources, new data definitions, new derived variables etc.); gathering, validating and influencing requirements from business stakeholders and prioritizing the backlog in the context of business priorities and benefits
- Proactively seek out new opportunities (both internal and external ) to broaden and deepen the data contained within the EDW and Data Lake, to improve the completeness and accuracy of the understanding of our customers as part of our Customer 360 plan and our providers as part of our Provider 360 plan
- Analyze and articulate the business uses of the EDW and Data Lake and document user stories to inform the development process
- Work with IT and Data Governance teams to ensure the business requirements are delivered to expectations and follow agreed governance and delivery processes, e.g. appropriate testing and business acceptance
- Provide regular progress reports to the work stream lead, PMO and business leads, and escalate risks and issues in line with agreed governance processes
- Keep abreast of industry developments in the data and technology environment to provide innovative ideas and continuous improvement suggestions to ensure the data remains relevant and continues to deliver customer and business value
- Accountable for the product backlog and prioritization of user stories with team members
- Set Sprint priorities and goals
- Develop the product road map and release plan
- Create business user stories with input from business users
- Partner with Scrum Master in supporting Scrum Framework
- Share and decompose Features into user stories (non-technical)
- Recognized voice of the business to the stable agile team members
- Ensure traceability between requirements to features to user stories
- Review test cases against user story acceptance criteria
- Periodically re-prioritize the Product Backlog based on customer feedback, market changes and business priority
- Actively participate in Product Backlog grooming sessions, retrospectives, defect management and project team’s release planning sessions
- Ensure that the Product Backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all, and shows what the Stable Team will work on next.
- Accessible for the team to answer questions, and during Sprint planning sessions, and Daily Scrum
- Own the continual acceptance criteria for business value story user stories
- Create and deliver presentations
Level 2 - Performs job functions in a lead capacity with general management oversight
- Lead, instruct, direct and check the work of other team members.
- Provide input for team member performance reviews.
- Formally accept the user stories once all acceptance criteria are met
- Assist management in project support and project resource planning.
- Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities
- Evaluate high-level project information and assess project components to forecast work effort required
- Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met
- Provide peer-level review and mentoring to level 1
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, project management, and word processing software
- Strong understanding of project management and agile best practices and quality improvement principles.
- Intermediate understanding of IT technologies
- Experience working with Healthcare systems
- Demonstrable experience with data management deliverables in both waterfall and agile development environments
- Understanding of Hadoop, Spark and other relevant Big Data technologies
- Able to analyze and communicate technical concepts to create practical solutions and influence decisions
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Ability to effectively break down barriers to maintain progress on initiatives
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Creativity and innovative problem-solving abilities
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Experience working with and managing third parties
- Extensive experience and judgment necessary to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge to generate reports based on available data and make decisions based on reported data
- Exceptional customer focus, including internal customers
- Excellent communication and networking skills to work with customers in guiding, advising, influencing and managing the expectations of stakeholders and leaders at all levels of business and influence solution design and delivery
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation.
- Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment.
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Advanced PC proficiency
- Intermediate knowledge of BCBSAZ applications
- Advanced knowledge of agile techniques
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with the development of business requirements, user acceptance testing and their supporting toolsets.
- Ability to perform systems research and analysis.
- Ability to write and present business documentation.
- Proven record in developing and managing product roadmaps and product lifecycle management with specific focus on EDWs and Data Lakes
- Proven record in developing and managing large and/or complex EDW and Data Lake solutions - this includes delivering the data roadmap to extend their data 'reach'
- Strong understanding of relevant big data & digital technologies, with the ability to harness their potential to drive customer and business value
- Strong understanding of Hadoop, Spark and other relevant Big Data technologies
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Impeccable project leadership skills
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of internal departments and operations
- Strong ability to translate technical concepts so that they are easily understood by laymen.
- Strong personal impact and the ability to inspire confidence and positive action
- Strong communications and influencing skills
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Level 2)
- Mentor team members and peers
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver lessons to team members
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R3009