Director, Prior Authorization/Manager, Prior Authorization (Medicaid)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal Use Only:
Purpose of the job
This position oversees the non-clinical day-to-day operations of the Prior Authorization Department. Responsibilities include proactive planning, organization and oversight of operations ensuring the highest quality of care and serves are provider in the most efficient manner. The Manager, Prior Authorization Ops focuses on achieving outcomes, meeting and/or exceeding regulatory standards as it relates to prior authorization.
- At least 5 years customer service experience and/or health care related field
- At least 5 years Managerial experience
- Previous experience working with Medicare and Medicaid Health Plans preferred
- Master’s Degree in Healthcare or related field
Preferred Work Experience
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor and maintain reporting of prior authorization operations and processes, monitor and report department compliance standards to Medical Management and Health Plan Leadership
- Implement and develop utilization reports and collaborate with Medical Management to identify trends, develop and implement innovative action plans to improve quality, accuracy and efficiency
- Lead and provide oversight for all health plan audits, monitor all department reporting to ensure data is accurate, develop and implement department work plans, collaborate with Medical Management on strategic planning and initiatives, collaborate with Health Plan Leadership and Department Heads
- Develop, implement and maintain department policies and procedures, communicate job expectations to staff, oversight of employee evaluations and personnel actions, lead the department in positive communication and team building
- Leads the charge in focus and implementation of the organization's culture and strategic plan in a way that aligns to the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements
Required Job Skills
- Requires excellent writing skills.
- Requires demonstrated competence in project management with strong conceptual, communications, design and organizational skills.
- Complete tasks with little supervision
- Ability to think analytically and make independent decisions
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work tasks to adhere to deadlines and identified time frames
Required Professional Competencies
- Must be able to effectively communicate with internal and external customers via telephone and email.
- Able to accurately receive information through oral communication.
- Able to accurately review data and figures both in hard copy and electronic formats.
- Utilize a computer (including but not limited to a mouse and keyboard) and telephone intermittently throughout entire shift, for periods of up to four (4) hours at a time.
- Able to accurately sort through data and think through issues in a time-pressured environment.
- Able to focus on a specific event or activity for up to four (4) hours at a time without interruption.
- Able to maintain a calm and collected presence while addressing the concerns from an internal and external customer
- Able to accurately learn and retain new information, knowledge and skills.
- Able to efficiently manage multiple tasks, with varying degrees of priority, at the same time.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Ability to lead others
Preferred Job Skills
Preferred Professional Competencies
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona