Director of Corporate Tax
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee annual expenses for federal, state, and local income tax compliance, including ownership of in joint ventures, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Provide oversight on tax compliance for a non-profit 501c4, a Captive Insurance Company, Foundation, Medicaid and MAPD companies. Prepare and maintain intercompany agreements, reinsurance and other arrangements that have tax-transfer pricing considerations, premium tax returns, claims tax returns, sales and use tax, property tax and Affordable Care Act taxes.
- Ensure the tax function provides timely, quality and innovative income tax consulting services to the Enterprise on all matters, as well as information reporting, sales and use tax, and personal property tax issues.
- Manage the preparation of the annual STAT and GAAP provision for the Enterprise’s income taxes, as well as monthly tax entries and tax projections.
- Monitor and forecast federal, state and other tax obligations and advise the company on strategies to effectively manage tax liabilities and expense.
- Oversee and manage the integration of tax into internal and external business operations and agreements with proactive communications to ensure tax compliance and enhance the company’s strategic tax position.
- Manage the preparation of the provision for income taxes under statutory insurance accounting rules for several insurance company quarterly and annual financials as well as all disclosures and reconciliations.
- Collaborate with and advise the Enterprise’s Government Affairs team on the effects of federal, state, and local current and proposed tax legislation.
- Support the Enterprises’ CFO, Chief Legal Counsel, Corporate Business Development and Strategy team on tax issues associated with mergers, acquisitions, investments, and divestitures.
- Advise the Enterprise on the tax implications of significant business transactions.
- Manage all federal, state, and local tax audits, in addition to any resulting controversies to their conclusion.
- Oversee FIN 48 and Uncertain Tax Positions (UTP) analysis.
- Work closely with independent auditors.
- Manage the tax department staff and administrative expense budget.
- Participate in special studies and projects.
- Assume lead role in ongoing search for tax planning opportunities.
- Issue guidance to corporate management on implications of federal and state tax legislation.
- Research all tax law changes, regulations, rulings, etc., which might affect the Plan or any of its Subsidiaries.
- Communicate tax law changes to affected departments and work with them to develop methods and procedures to implement needed change.
- Supervise and mentor senior tax accountant in working directly with Financial Reporting, Cost Accounting, Financial Systems, and Treasury for monthly tax calculations, tax return preparation and quarterly net deferred tax asset calculation.
- Participate in design, development, and maintenance of computer applications to continually improve tax functions.
- Participate in BCBSA Tax Advisory Group meetings, BCBSA Information Reporting Group meetings, and other BCBSA tax planning projects.
- Maintain strong working relationships with other Blues Tax Management personnel.
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with outside auditors and tax consultants.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience
- 7 years of experience performing original research on complex federal tax topics
- 7 years of experience managing the deferred tax function
- 7 years of hands-on experience with the tax department of a CPA firm or a large corporation
- 7 years of experience in a healthcare, health insurance, or other insurance field
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, accounting, tax accounting, or related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 10+ years of experience performing original research on complex federal tax topics
- 10+ years of experience managing the deferred tax function
- 10+ years of hands-on experience with the tax department of a CPA firm or a large corporation
- 10+ years of experience in a healthcare, health insurance, or other insurance field
- Advanced degree in Taxation, e.g. Master of Science in Tax or Juris Doctorate (Tax)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
REQUIRED COMPETENCIESRequired Job Skills
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet and word processing
- Expert knowledge of current federal income tax laws, regulations, and procedures.
- Expert knowledge of tax accounting, including income and expense recognition, tax deferrals, deferred tax balance sheet and financial statement reporting.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data
- Capable of legal and analytical research
- Ability to synthesize legal and regulatory information, identify key issues, and analyze their impact on the corporation
- Strong writing skills and the ability to translate complex information into simple, clear language
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement complex tax projects to meet specific deadlines.
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing, to management on complex tax matters.
- Establish and maintain strong working relations with all levels of employees and outside professionals.
- Able to manage outside tax professionals to maximize benefit for BCBSAZ.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIESPreferred Job Skills
- Knowledge of a wide range of subjects pertaining to the organization's service and operations.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona