Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Manages the day-to-day activities of the benefits department. Serves as the primary contact and resource for staff. Improves quality and businesss processes related to benefits. Manages, analyzes, designs, and administers employee benefits programs. Performs data collection, analysis, and interpretation for executive and employee compensation and incentives.
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the department.
- Provide guidance, motivation and encouragement to staff, conduct performance evaluations, identify and coordinate training needs, and evaluate and make recommendations in regard to employment decisions.
- Consult and coordinate with various internal departments, external Blue Plans or business partners and government agencies.
- Suggest alternative methods and procedures in solving problems and meeting changing cultural, measurement, and data needs.
- Manage staff responsible for compensation. Review and evaluate position descriptions using sound compensation processes and methodologies to ensure a competitive compensation program that attracts and retains qualified employees.
- Manage salary administration and merit processes.
- Conduct and participate in industry compensation surveys
- Manage corporate incentive programs, including, but not limited to executive LTI and STI, sales compensation programs, Performance Plus, Wage Stabilization, and CAPS / customer service awards.
- Oversee all benefits plans, administration and renewals including but not limited to health and welfare, 401k, pension, SERP, executive benefits, LOAs, COBRA and workers compensation programs; responsible for compliance, discrimination testing, and invoice auditing/reporting
- Partner with and manage relationships with benefits brokers, carriers, vendors and subject matter experts ensuring delivery of high quality programs in accordance with industry best practices and legal compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of industry and market trends, benefits-related technology, labor law, ERISA, and healthcare reform initiatives.
- Benchmark programs and recommend changes and enhancements to ensure our compensation and benefits are robust and remain competitive.
- Manage day-to-day administration, open enrollment, and annual renewal process including strategic planning, event planning, and communications
- Develop communication plans to effectively promote compensation and benefits programs and to enhance employee understanding and value. Reviews, updates and fine-tunes benefits orientation on a regular basis.
- Protect interests of employees and the company in accordance with company human resources policies, governmental laws, and regulations.
- Lead and/or participate on project teams to implement HR projects or represent HR on cross-functional teams.
- Oversee day-to-day departmental administration by coaching and motivating staff to make maximum use of experience and skills.
- Monitor quality performance measures, develop and maintain effective workflows, and seek to maximize system efficiencies.
- Manage use of corporate funds including budgeting, financial management, and reporting. Identify opportunities to achieve administrative efficiencies while maintaining service.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals.
- Participate in strategic planning activities and contribute to departmental and cross-functional teams to achieve BCBSAZ goals and ensure future success.
- Coordinate activities between multiple divisions to achieve desired results.
- Support BCBSAZ’s value of maintaining a heritage of service, by volunteering with, serving on, or supporting community organizations.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.