DevOps Engineer - REMOTE - AZ
Awarded a Healthiest Employer, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona aims to fulfill its mission to inspire health and make it easy. BCBSAZ offers a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
Serves as a DevOps Engineer supporting a dedicated DevOps team. This role will be responsible for applying DevOps best practices and ideas to include testability, repeatability, and automation, and be able to provide skill uplift, knowledge transfer and sharing of DevOps concepts and best practices to various cross functional teams including Infrastructure, Operations, Security, Business and Application Development. The DevOps Engineer assesses business requirements; collects and identifies technical specifications; and develops technology solutions that meet requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- DevOps Engineer and/or Site Reliability Engineer
- Kubernetes AKS Certification
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Level 1 - Performs job functions under general supervision or peer review
- Level 2 - Performs job functions with moderate supervision and or peer review
- Level 3 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision
- Level 4 - Performs job functions in an architect / lead capacity
- Experienced with DevOps/ Agile operations process and tools including: Code review, unit test automation, Build & Release automation, Service, Incident and Change Management tools.
- In depth experience in Continuous Integration /Continuous Deployment tools to setup automated and scheduled deployments with a preference towards Jenkins
- Experienced in container based technologies Kubernetes and Docker on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or Azure
- In depth experience in using Build and Automation tools like ANT, Maven, Gradle, NPM, MsBuild/Dotnet
- Experienced in Branching, Merging, Tagging and maintaining the versions across the environments using SCM tools like SVN, TFS, GIT , CVS
- Experienced with Code Quality tools like SonarQube
- Experience with CI/CD in containerized micro services environment
- Proficient with tools like Ansible, Chef, Salt and Puppet
- Experienced with authoring and maintaining Jenkins shared libraries.
- Experienced with LINUX/Unix System Administration, System Builds, Server Builds, Installations, Upgrades, Patches, Migration and Troubleshooting
- Strong experience developing HELM Charts and using public HELM charts to manage Kubernetes deployments
- Strong experience in cloud provisioning tools such as Terraform with a preference in using the Azure and AWS providers.
- Proficient in authoring and maintaining Terraform modules and private Terraform registry.
- Proficient with PYTHON, Ruby, PowerShell, Pearl, HCL, Groovy and Bash scripting.
- Experienced with Cloud Migrations to IAAS Platforms like AWS, Azure, or Mulesoft.
- Working knowledge of leveraging CI/CD pipelines to manage databases
- Collaborate well with peers and team members in the areas of technical skills and competencies.
- Analyze current technology utilized within the company and develop steps and processes to improve and expand upon them
- Mentor and train other engineers throughout the company and seek to continually improve DevOps maturity companywide
- Working with software developers and software engineers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended
- Participate in build and release management activities
- Keep current and informed of devops and cloud technologies and best practices.
- Serves as technical consultant and IT focal point for all public, private and hybrid cloud IaaS and PaaS solutions including containerization solutions.
- Assist Cloud Engineering teams with diagnosing and troubleshooting cloud related issues escalated by service desk teams or routed via incident management in a 24x7 environment
- Communicates effectively with Development and Operations teams to align on requirements, driving SDLC requirements, capabilities, and limitations pertinent to delivering highly resilient applications.
- Collaborate on standards and policies for cloud IaaS and PaaS service adoption, providing clarity for enabling compliant and secure Cloud solutions that meet project and initiative milestones.
- Has an ‘Automation First" mindset . Responsible for evaluating and implementing orchestration, automation, and tooling solutions to ensure consistent processes and repetitive tasks are performed with the highest level of accuracy and reduced defects
- Collaborate on and execute on near/mid/long term devops strategy and roadmaps in adherence to, and in support of enterprise standards, policy, strategy and roadmaps.
- Participate in the Cloud Center of Excellence agenda and follow up; acting as the devops subject matter expert.
- Participate with Engineering teams regarding decisions on devops solutions regulatory compliance such as PCI, NIST or HITRUST, optimal access and usefulness, and leverage existing technologies when possible.
- Participate in research and development efforts (proofs of concept, prototypes), as subject matter expert, when introducing new technologies.
- Educate and influence others in order to gain buy-in on proposed solutions.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analysis on devops related technology and tooling to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Familiarity with software to scan and identify code vulnerabilities
- Partner with dev & test teams to ensure continuous test automation practices are being used across the pipeline.
- Proficient with SQL and /or NoSQL technologies experience
- Establish priorities and adjust work accordingly
- Evaluate and recommend a wide variety of open-source technologies and cloud services to address gaps in CI/CD tool chain
- Assist with providing continuous monitoring capabilities (Applies to level 3)
- Design, build and maintain the CI/CD infrastructure and tools (Applies to level 3)
- Identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention (Applies to level 3)
- Coach others in the adoption of DevOps (Applies to Levels 3 and 4)
- Lead teams in the transformation to DevOps (Applies to Level 4)
- Develop staff, including the development and maintenance of training materials for new and existing staff (Applies to Level 3 and 4).
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any overtime
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Proficient in Configuration Management skills using Chef or Puppet
- Proficient in Infrastructure automation skills using Terraform or similar
- Proficient in leveraging HELM to manage Kubernetes deployments or similar
- Proficient in developing Terraform modules or similar
- Proficient with Terraform cloud providers for AWS and/or Azure
- Proficient in CICD pipeline creation using Jenkins or similar
- Proficient in administering, patching, and maintaining Jenkins or similar
- Proficient in developing Jenkins reusable libraries and/or leveraging community developed plugins or similar
- Proficient in Manage release workflows using XLRelease or similar
- Proficient in Working knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards
- Proficient in Excellent IT troubleshooting skills
- Proficient in Willing to work under different technologies and take up new technology responsibilities outside core skills
- Knowledge of Cloud IaaS and PaaS solutions
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Linux Operating Systems
- Knowledge of containerization solutions such as Docker, Azure AKS or other Kubernetes platforms
- Knowledge of network concepts including routing and firewall controls
- Knowledge of deploying, monitoring and maintaining servers
- Knowledge of cloud security principals, architectures, and best practices
- Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws, including HIPAA regulations related to data security
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Has integrity and trust, is self driven and collaborative
- Ability to utilize analytical skills, take appropriate risks, while dealing with ambiguity and make effective decisions using available data.
- Proficient Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Ability to be approachable, develop peer relationships and build synergy with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment
- Anticipate downstream technical needs and steer architectural designs to appropriately factor in considerations.
- Analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions.
- Ability to be customer focused with verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Be driven for results and work effectively with management, project managers, business analysts, developers, engineers, architects, system administrators, and QA to conceive, design, and deliver successful solutions.
- Work with all levels of management and functional areas in BCBSAZ and understand the potential implications of system changes to those areas.
- Ability to be self-aware and emotionally intelligent, able to give and receive constructive feedback and continue self-development.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perseverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationships with others.
- Working with and managing third parties
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Comfortable with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to act independently to drive IT goals and change
Required Architecture and Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time contstraints. (Applies to Levels 2 - 4)
- Ability to provide mentoring and peer review to team members (Applies to Levels 3 and 4)
- Provide leadership, promote teamwork, meet objectives and exercise independent judgment (Applies to Level 4)
- Ability to build synergy with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment (Applies to Level 4)
- Design and deliver complex architectures along with supporting documents. (Applies to Level 4)
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Expert knowledge designing highly redundant, scalable, multi-tier enterprise transaction processing systems from front end to back end.
- Expert knowledge and experience with a variety of governance standards and frameworks
- Expert knowledge and experience in deploying and supporting a variety of cloud security concepts (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS) and mobile architectures
- Experience with containerization solutions such as Docker, Azure AKS or other Kubernetes platforms
- Expert knowledge of HIPAA, NIST, HITRUST security and privacy standards.
- Expert in leveraging HELM to manage Kubernetes deployments
- Expert in Strong Configuration Management skills using Chef or Puppet
- Expert in Infrastructure automation skills using Terraform
- Expert in developing Terraform Modules
- Expert in leveraging Terraform cloud providers like Azure and/or AWS
- Expert in Ability to create CI/CD pipeline using Jenkins
- Expert in developing reusable Jenkins libraries
- Expert in administering, patching, and maintaining Jenkins
- Expert in Ability to manage release workflows using XLRelease
- In depth knowledge of healthcare and health plan data structures and business processes and workflows.
- Demonstrated thorough understanding of modern enterprise infrastructure and cloud solutions, hands-on experience with Infrastructure hypervisor, compute and storage platforms.
- Proficient in Cloud IaaS and PaaS solutions
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows and Linux Operating Systems
- Proficient in containerization solutions such as Docker, Azure AKS or other Kubernetes platforms
- Proficient in network concepts including routing and firewall controls
- Proficient in deploying, monitoring and maintaining servers
- Proficient in cloud security principals, architectures, and best practices
- Proficient in data privacy practices and laws, including HIPAA regulations related to data security
- Proficient in Security, Application Development, Infrastructure and Operations.
- Proficient in cloud security principals, architectures, and best practices.
- Proficient in network security systems, authentication mechanisms, threats, and controls.
- Proficient in multi-factor technologies and their implementation.
- Proficient in modern authentication, multi-factor technologies, implementation and appropriate use cases.
- Proficient in security concepts like authentication, authorization, perimeter security, access control, least privledge, confidentiality, and integrity.
- Proficient in encryption, key management, and appropriate use cases
- Proficient in implementing IT strategy, enterprise architectures and security architectures
- Proficient in third party auditing and cloud risk assessment methodologies
- Proficient in High Availability and Disaster Recovery
- Proficient in Healthcare industry
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Able to operate at highly varying levels of abstraction including business strategy, product strategy, technical design and implementation.
- Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of Health Care Provider industry
Preferred Architecture and Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Experience implementing projects and working collaboratively with other departments levels (Levels 2 - 4)
- Present to executive leadership about designs and ongoing projects (Applies to Levels 3 and 4)
- Demonstrated ability to provide mentoring and peer review to team members (Applies to Levels 3 and 4)
- Demonstrated ability to lead and deliver multiple large DevOps initiatives at a time (Applies to Level 4)
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R3319