DevOps Engineer III
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal Use Only:
Level 3 DevOps III (Grades 29 - 31)
Level 4 DevOps IV (Grades 31 - 32)
Purpose of the job
Serves as a DevOps Engineer supporting a dedicated DevOps team. This role will be responsible for applying DevOps best practices and ideas to include testability, repeatability, and automation, and be able to provide skill uplift, knowledge transfer and sharing of DevOps concepts and best practices to various agile team members.
Required Work Experience
- 3 years Experience as a DevOps practitioner/engineer
- 2 years Working on or closely with a DevOps team in an agile environment
- 3 years Experienced user of DevOps tooling and a clear understanding of DevOps principles
- High School Diploma or GED in general field of study (all levels)
Preferred Work Experience
- 4 years Experience as a DevOps practitioner/engineer
- 3 years Working on or closely with a DevOps team in an agile environment
- 4 years Experienced user of DevOps tooling and a clear understanding of DevOps principles
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field (All Levels)
Preferred Licenses / Certifications
- DevOps Engineer and/or Site Reliability Engineer
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Level 1 - Performs job functions under general supervision or peer review
- Participate in medium sized agile teams
- Utilize knowledge of SDLC best practices and IT operations
- Work with Cloud Technologies - Private, Public, Hybrid, IaaS+, PaaS, SaaS
- Discuss CICD workflow and trunk based development methods
- Code and script using languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, etc.
- Put into practice your Docker experience or similar container technologies
- Work with SDK and CLIs
- Engage with various protocols such as HTTP, SSL, SSH, JMS, JDBC, REST API, etc.
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating systems, software, and hardware installation / configuration
- Work with teams towards understanding Networks (VLAN, sub netting, routing and switching)
- Leverage version control systems like Git
- Participate in build and release management activities
Level 2 - Performs job functions with moderate supervision and peer review (in addition to level 1 skills)
- Put into practice container concepts and container orchestration
- Incorporate application and infrastructure security best practices
- Look for code vulnerabilities
- Implement continuous test automation across the pipeline
- Evolve CI/CD platforms like Jenkins
- Use SQL and /or NoSQL technologies experience
- Assist with the development of Azure, or similar cloud platforms, SDKs and CLIs
- Establish priorities and adjust work accordingly
- Use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services
- Design and develop automation solutions that improve DevOps operations and efficiency
- Assist with implementing test data management processes and tooling
- Develop modern architecture and design patterns to include microservices
Level 3 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision (in addition to levels 1 and 2 skills)
- Maintain container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes
- Educate key people on security and scalability
- Assist with providing continuous monitoring capabilities
- Design, build and maintain the CI/CD infrastructure and tools
- Leverage CI/CD tools to automate testing and deployment
- Develop backend web services
- Administer Docker runtime or similar container platforms
- Administer SQL and NoSQL technologies
- Administer Linux servers supporting applications
- Participate with others in leveraging VMWare
- Troubleshoot complex scenarios
- Identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention
- Use your understanding of networking and storage technologies related to databases
- Implement infrastructure as code related to tooling
- Work with configuration management systems to include Chef, Puppet, and/or Ansible
- Orchestrate database related changes on a CICD Pipeline
Level 4 - Performs job functions with no supervision (in addition to levels 1, 2 and 3 skills)
- Coach others in the adoption of DevOps
- Lead teams in the transformation to DevOps
- Develop staff, including the development and maintenance of training materials for new and existing staff
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Configuration Management skills using Chef or Puppet
- Infrastructure automation skills using Terraform or similar
- CICD pipeline creation using Jenkins or similar
- Manage release workflows using XLRelease or similar
- Proficient using PC
- Proficient in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Working knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards
- Excellent IT troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws, including HIPAA regulations related to data security
- Willing to work under different technologies and take up new technology responsibilities outside core skills
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perseverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Proficient Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Working with and managing third parties
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Comfortable with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to act independently to drive IT goals and change
Required Leadership Competencies
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Strong Configuration Management skills using Chef
- Strong Infrastructure automation skills using Terraform
- Ability to create CICD pipeline using Jenkins
- Ability to manage release workflows using XLRelease
- Understanding of High Availability and Disaster Recovery
- Any Azure Certification
- Familiarity with Healthcare industry
- Ability to conduct interview sessions
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of Health Care Provider industry
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Level 4)
- Ability to provide mentoring and peer review to team members
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver to team members
- Ability to lead DevOps transformations
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona