Developer - Technical Lead
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal Use: 31-33 grades
Purpose of the job
The Developer/Technical Lead - will contribute to all aspects of development life cycle, including identification of requirements, design, coding, performance tuning, unit testing, and will collaborate with other business and technical members to delivery high quality engineered software solutions. The Technical Lead is responsible for building enterprise scalable and highly performant application services to support critical enterprise systems and applications. The Technical Lead will be responsible for troubleshooting environment and coding problems, determining root cause and providing solutions to production issues. The Technical Lead will be an expert in advanced software engineering methods and techniques and a champion for improving software development practices and producing high quality software.
Required Work Experience
- 2 years experience in the industry in similar technical leadership role
- 7 years of SOA/EAI/Middleware architecture, design and implementation experience
- 4 years of experience in the design, implementation and governance of systems architecture in a complex business applications environment
- Experience and background in software development and Agile methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or related field
Preferred Work Experience
- 5 years of advanced technical leadership and software engineering experience in .Net and Microsoft Technologies
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- Microsoft Technical Certifications
- Cloud Architect Certification
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Architect, design, code, and lead the development of various systems and components.
- Collaborate with team members to review user stories and supporting requirements and translate them into a system design
- Follow industry-standard design patterns, development methodologies, and deployment models to ensure consistency
- Solve and articulate complex problems with application design and development
- Stay current with industry trends and evaluate feasible solutions
- Assure the proper change management protocols are followed to maximize benefit and alleviate unnecessary disruption to the organization and customers
- With management, establish and meet short- and long-term department goals in accordance with overall company objectives and divisional strategic planning.
- Assume leadership role in initiating and completing projects related to increased efficiencies, productivity, and quality.
- Review production and operating policies to ensure that the most efficient processes are in place and determine tactical plans to improve processes and services that can be streamlined and/or improved.
- Assist production support when required
- Independently maintain and develop complex systems and programs.
- Maintain an extensive knowledge of new developments in software engineering.
- Work with Management to prepare Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for software systems
- Assist in implementing new procedures, including workflows, manuals, and training materials.
- Coordinate and develop training materials for Programmers.
- Participate in technology planning
- Participate in the project prioritization process.
- Train new staff in the use, understanding, and configuration of the files, terms, and methods used in programming.
- Guide and mentor other developers in developing quality code
- Conduct code reviews
Required Job Skills
- Familiarity with Cloud architecture and technologies: Azure Functions, Table/BLOB storage, Logic Apps
- Familiarity with messaging architecture: Subscriptions, Topics
- Familiarity with Azure DevOps and CI/CD: Terraform, Build/Release Agents
- CQRS design pattern
- Familiarity with containerization (Docker)
- Demonstrated success in building reliable and scalable systems software.
- Deep knowledge and experience in using and applying API, SOAP, WSDL, JSON, ESB, and XML based solutions.
- Strong knowledge of application security and securing the complete solution
- Mastery of coding design patterns and services architecture
- A proven track record of using technology to capitalize on business opportunities and deliver projects on time and on budget consistently.
- Proven experience in documenting business processes and creating system designs using process flow diagram tools, UML, sequence diagrams, etc.
- Understands and resolves highly complex large scale or systems level problems. Able to quickly and efficiently troubleshoot such problems utilizing team resources to coordinate solutions
- Strong leadership, partnership, collaboration and teambuilding skills.
- Strong understanding of software development methodologies and performance engineering practices.
- Ability to apply verbal, written and persuasive communication skills to influence others both individually and groups.
- Proficient in utilization of audio/visual tools to effectively present to groups and capable of presenting technical information to other functions or groups both inside and outside of the organization
- Collaborate closely with business stakeholders and development teams to ensure the architecture and design is usable, maintainable, scalable, reliable, extensible, secure, portable and functional.
- Understand, advocate and augment the standards, best practices and architectural principles that guide solution decisions, development environments, tools, and deployment procedures for the enterprise.
- Strong self-starter, motivated, enthusiastic, risk taker, innovative, and customer service oriented with a record of success.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to cope with the rapid pace and constant change associated with the industry.
- Ability to successfully manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, with internal and external contacts.
- Extensive experience or understanding of services technologies and standards, .NET platform, and Web Service Specifications WS
- Strong understanding of infrastructure architecture and security architecture concepts.
- Strong command of database design concepts
Required Professional Competencies
- Customer focused with strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact professionally at all levels of the organization and across multiple technological and business functions.
- Able to teach others and explain complex concepts with clarity, educating through knowledge sharing presentations and written documents.
- Ability to be self-aware and emotionally intelligent, able to give and receive constructive feedback and continue self-development.
- Confidence to challenge the status quo and lead change in the organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of modern architecture and design.
- Mix of creative and technical thinking with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of IT systems, practices and functional units.
- Strong knowledge of application development, infrastructure and operations.
- Ability to be approachable and develop healthy working relationships across a diverse team.
- Ability to assess a situation, make critical observations and take appropriate risks, using available information.
- Anticipate downstream technical needs and steer architectural designs to appropriately factor in considerations.
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions.
- Be driven for results and work effectively with management, project managers, analysts, developers, engineers, architects, system administrators, and testers to conceive, design, and deliver successful solutions.
- Able to operate at highly varying levels of abstraction including business strategy, technology strategy, technical design and implementation.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Provide leadership, promote teamwork, and act collaboratively to meet objectives.
- Experience leading teams and implementing projects with both business and technical participants.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Ability to build consensus with a diverse team in an ever-changing environment.
Preferred Job Skills
- Expert knowledge designing highly redundant, scalable, multi-tier enterprise transaction processing systems from front end to back end.
- Experience with cloud architecture.
- Knowledge of HIPAA security and privacy standards.
- In depth knowledge of healthcare and health plan data structures and business processes and workflows.
Preferred Professional Competencies
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona