Data Engineer - Remote AZ
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
This remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed, within the State of Arizona
Purpose of the job
- Designs and implements business intelligence and extract, transform, and load (ETL) solutions using programming, performance tuning, data modeling. Creates databases optimized for performance, implementing schema changes, and maintaining data architecture standards across all of the business’s databases. Serves as a liaison between the Database Administration department and development teams.
Required Work Experience
- 4 years of experience in computer programming, query design, and databases
- 6 years of experience in computer programming, query design, and databases (Senior level)
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
Preferred Work Experience
- 4+ years of experience building and managing complex Data Integration solutions.
- 4+ years of experience in computer programming, query design, and databases
- 4+ years of experience Database administration with SQL Server
- 6+ years of experience building and managing complex Data Integration solutions (Senior)
- 6+ years of experience in computer programming, query design, and databases (Senior)
- 6+ years of experience Database administration with SQL Server (Senior)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field preferred
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology or related field (Senior)
- MS SQL Certification or other certification in current programming languages
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Data Engineer - Performs job functions with general supervision and peer review
- Learn area’s direct flow; and how it affects surrounding systems and operational areas.
- Architect, design, construct, test, tune, deploy, and support Data Integration solutions for various data management systems.
- Contribute to the team’s knowledge base with useful information such as adopted standards, procedure documentation, problem resolution advice, etc.
- Participate in the promotion of SQL Server best practices
- Collaborate with other technology teams and architects to define and develop solutions.
- Research and experiment with emerging Data Integration technologies and tools.
- Work with the team to establish and reinforce disciplined software development, processes, standards, and error recovery procedures are deployed; ensuring a high degree of data quality.
- Support Enterprise database clustering, mirroring, replication among other SQL Server technologies.
- Develop, write and implement processing requirements and post implementation review
- Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities
- Design & Implement Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) solutions utilizing SSIS
- Apply data mining rules
- Create logic, system, and program flows for complex systems, including interfaces and metadata
- Write and execute unit test plans. Track and resolve any processing issues.
- Implement and maintain operational and disaster-recovery procedures.
- Participate in the review of code and/or systems for proper design standards, content and functionality.
- Participate in all aspects of the Software Development Life Cycle
- Analyze files and map data from one system to another
- Adhere to established source control versioning policies and procedures
- Meet timeliness and accuracy goals.
- Communicate status of work assignments to stakeholders and management.
- Responsible for technical and production support documentation in accordance with department standards and industry best practices.
- Maintain current knowledge on new developments in technology-related industries
- Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
Senior - Performs job functions with minimal supervision in a Lead capacity
- Research, analyze, track and resolve complex production problems.
- Build, support, and maintain complex processes, programs, and data.
- Evaluate high-level project information and assess project components to forecast work effort required.
- Provide peer-level review and mentoring to peers.
- Participate and/or lead complex technical projects.
- Act as a subject matter expert in two or more of areas as assigned:
- BI Production Reporting
- DAtabase Architecture
- Database Architecture and Support
- Act as primary operational contact for internal and external customers when needed or in the absence of manager.
- Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met.
- Lead, develop and mentor staff by providing opportunities for growth through delegation, training, and assignment to various project teams.
- Inform manager of any issues impacting the efficient and effective performance of the department including system, resource, and informational barriers; Provide timely feedback to team member on performance.
- Assist the manager in the day-to-day operations of the department.
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- Maintain current on new developments in technology-related industries.
- Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements. Participate in on-call rotation.
- Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Intermediate PC proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
- Advanced knowledge of business intelligence, programming, and data analysis software
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft SQL databases and database administration
- Intermediate proficiency in T-SQL, NZ-SQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, data tuning, enterprise data modeling and schema change management.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards to the extent that they apply to database administration.
- Excellent database troubleshooting skills
- Working technical knowledge of PowerShell.
- Strong object-oriented design and analysis skills
- Experience consuming, organizing and analyzing JSON and XML messages as data.
- Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Knowledge of agile development practices
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perseverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business intelligence documentation
- Demonstrate the ability to stay current on global threats and vulnerabilities.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation (Senior only)
- Participation in one or more groups that aids in setting/enforcing standards and/or providing educational opportunities across the IT organization. (Senior only)
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, SQL queries, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Advanced knowledge of data mapping techniques
- Advanced knowledge of computer operating systems
- Advanced knowledge of decision support systems
- Advanced knowledge of programming, database systems, and data management.
- Advanced knowledge of decision support systems
- Advanced knowledge of Business Objects
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
- Impeccable project management skills
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of internal departments and operations
- Strong technical documentation skills and a strong ability to translate technical concepts so that they are easily understood by laypersons
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Senior level)
- Ability to provide mentoring and peer review to junior team members
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver lessons to junior team members
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.