Corporate Analytics Report Analyst (SAS/ SQL/ Healthcare)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
- This position is responsible for the designing of metrics, reports, and analyses to drive key business decisions as well as production of various reports and analyses to support corporate strategies.
Required Work Experience
- 2 years of experience working for a healthcare organization / health insurer
- 2 years of experience in an actuarial, healthcare economics, informatics ,or similar analytic field
- Bachelor's Degree in business, mathematics, statistics, or related field of study
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 3+ years of experience working for a healthcare organization / health insurer
- 3+ years of experience in an actuarial or healthcare economics field
- Determine processes and measurements necessary to achieve accurate results using the most efficient work flow. Seek out opportunities for synergy and integration with the intention of improving processes. Integrate required changes and prepare detailed documentation for auditing where needed.
- Develop and maintain reporting for membership information such as demographics as requested/needed.
- Develop new and maintain existing reporting used to pay capitated arrangements with external vendors. Research issues and implement changes as vendor contracting is amended.
- Generate detailed Rx rebate reporting for use in invoicing employer groups.
- Gather and coordinate responses to RFI/RFP requests for information.
- Prepare data extraction and transformation to meet the needs of internal business partners.
- Represent department on relevant Committees as needed.
- Create, modify, and maintain SAS programming associated with specific responsibilities.
- Identify and implement potential improvements to existing programming and reporting that support analyses and processes.
- Interpret, communicate, and present results to all levels of management in consistent and easy to understand formats to facilitate fact-based decision making.
- Serve as an internal consultant to define business questions and transform data and analysis into meaningful and actionable information for a variety of customer segments.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with internal stakeholders (Provider Partnership, Health Quality Assurance, Business Segments, Marketing, Legal) and key external client contacts (Providers, Vendors, Brokers, BCBS Association, Blues Plans, Auditors).
- Report to a supervisor or manager who provides general supervisory instructions, manages workload and reviews overall results. Develops own work-plans, and discusses timelines, prioritization, and objectives with supervisor or manager.
- Provide self- and peer-review of job responsibilities listed above.
- Make sound assumptions and discuss with supervisor, manager, or project manager.
- Complete projects within preset timelines and report status to supervisor and project manager.
- Prepare written documentation on projects to provide a peer review trail and ensure continuity and integrity.
- Communicate results and recommendations to internal and external customers.
- Share knowledge of skills, projects, and business needs with peers and less-experienced analysts. Train back-up analysts and/or new analysts.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Required Job Skills
- Superior process management skills
- Expert proficiency in spreadsheet software
- Advanced skill in mathematical calculations and interpretation
- Intermediate proficiency in database, presentation, and word processing software
- Intermediate proficiency with data warehouses and query tools / design
- Intermediate proficiency in computer programming, including SAS and other business intelligence programs
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanners and telephones
Required Professional Competencies
- Broad understanding of health insurance terms and concepts
- General knowledge of the healthcare industry
- Knowledge of health benefit design and rating techniques
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make sound decisions based on reported data
- Ability to solve problems independently and draw accurate conclusions from limited data using basic mathematical modeling and actuarial techniques.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and make recommendations with less than complete or conflicting information while maintaining appropriate time management.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to all levels in all departments.
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with others.
- Skill in prioritizing tasks and working with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints
- Ability to summarize technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Proactive about requesting enough information to fully understand and meet the business need.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
Preferred Job Skills
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software, and query tools/design
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Knowledge of funding arrangements and their ratings
- Project management skill needed to create timelines, track deliverables and progress, resolve issues, and communicate project status
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona