Continuous Improvement Manager
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
- The Continuous Improvement Manager advocates new ways of doing things, challenging conventional wisdom by introducing and demonstrating proven quality improvement methodologies. This individual will coach others on the value of using the Operational Excellence (OE) tools, the impact of having optimal processes and systems, the vision of how to get there, and how it results in increased productivity and higher satisfaction for customers and employees.
- The Continuous Improvement Manager is a well-skilled facilitator and subject matter expert for corporate process improvement. Through coaching, mentoring, and leading large projects, they work directly with key stakeholders to identify process improvement opportunities and determine the appropriate improvement methodology. As a result of their efforts, process management tools and techniques are cultivated and integrated throughout the organization and business results are achieved and sustained.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience
- 5 years business operational experience
- 5 years implementing operational solutions and working collaboratively with other departments and different levels of administration.
- 5 years process management experience with a proven track record managing process improvement and teams
- 3 years of experience in Project Management
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Work Experience
- 3 - 5 years of working experience with process analysis and driving Lean/Six Sigma transformation efforts that result in sustained, on-going process improvement and culture change.
- 3 - 5 years of experience facilitating work sessions and process improvement events
- 5 - 7 years of experience in Customer Service, call center, finance or insurance field
- 1 - 3 years experience working in an agile environment including planning, stand ups, story points/backlogs, burndown charts/velocity metrics and retrospectives
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field
- Rapid Process Improvement Facilitator (required to be obtained within the first 2 years of the role)
- FAST Work Session Leader (required to be obtained within the first 2 years of the role)
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (required to be obtained within the first 2 years of the role)
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for being a "change agent," constantly challenging conventional thinking, approach, and current ways of doing business.
- Consult with business sponsors and stakeholders to assess new projects for value, ensure sponsor/stakeholder commitment and select appropriate improvement methodologies.
- Provide the business analysis, design, and implementation support on critical projects to ensure the right processes are implemented at the right time with minimum negative impact. Customize the improvement approach to meet the specific need(s), which may include:
- Work session facilitation: train, coach and challenge process owners and teams in the use of Lean/Six Sigma tools and approaches to define customer and business requirements, analyze barriers and develop solutions to improve the customer experience and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of processes
- "SWAT" team analysis: facilitate rapid response teams to identify root cause/solutions and mitigate risk
- Process Mapping: develop process maps and translate into business requirements where needed
- Process Optimization: understand business needs, analyze existing processes, and generate and implement validated improvement solutions to optimize existing the process and provide real ROI
- New Process Implementation: design and implement new processes/programs through analysis, benchmarking, validated designs and post implementation review
- Application Implementation: assist with the deployment of a new application through holistic business design, definition of business requirements, ongoing solutioning, and post implementation refinement
- Service Experience Blueprinting: design the desired customer experience and the processes and support structure to deliver that experience
- Process Management: Coordinate with end-to-end teams to map processes, identify roles and responsibilities, mitigate risk and define vision for success, strategy/tactics and success measures
- Benchmarking: identify and replicate "best-in-class" operational practices
- Data analysis: mine and analyze data to identify root cause and solutions
- Develop and communicate business cases to support recommendations for change to current business practices and processes.
- Provide technical and consulting assistance to continuous improvements teams as needed.
- Facilitate post-event/project reviews to validate desired results are achieved and sustained. Recommend additional solutions as needed to achieve project goals.
- Complete weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting on the status and results achieved for assigned improvement projects
- Train and mentor other employees in Lean and Six Sigma methods and tools.
- Represent Operational Excellence in a professional manner, encouraging operational improvement and use of available tools and techniques.
- Engage the support and buy-in of leaders within the organization by promoting the importance and value of the operational excellence model and processes.
- Lead and participate in other corporate projects as assigned.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
Required Job Skills
- Proficiency in process improvement and business process design.
- Proficiency in process mapping at both a high and detailed level
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to conduct data analysis, process analysis, and root cause analysis
- Decision analysis skills. (i.e. ability to separate a complex whole into component parts)
- Knowledge of what type of control method is best for each project and how to create and sustain a plan
- Strong planning and project management skills
- Must be articulate and able to communicate with employees at all levels across the organization, from front-line worker to executives
- Knowledge of Kanban and Agile practices
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
Required Professional Competencies
- Ability to independently lead others and facilitate projects from start to finish
- Results focused with successful record of accomplishments
- Intermediate skills in influence, persuasion, negotiation and problem resolution
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail
- Conceptual and tactical planning skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Intermediate coaching, training and mentoring skills
- Ability to think about customer and employee needs when evaluating process and possible solutions
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Demonstrates political awareness and a proven track record of building effective working relationships with senior level business partners both internally and externally.
- Ability to coordinate with stakeholders across the company and manage occasionally competing interests.
- Ability to work with others collaboratively in a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to motivate and empower associates at all levels and encourages innovation and risk taking.
- Advanced customer relationship management skills
- Leadership and matrix management skills
Preferred Job Skills
- Advanced process analysis and facilitation skills
- Advanced planning and project management skills
- Knowledge of statistical concepts and capabilities.
- Data mining skills
- Knowledge of healthcare industry.
- Advanced PC proficiency
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Advanced skills in influence, persuasion, negotiation and problem resolution
- Advanced coaching, training and mentoring skills
- Thorough knowledge of the company’s needs, policies and culture
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Ability to lead others in the same or higher levels to a valuable solution that may be novel or have no known set precedence in the customer experience or operational outsourcing areas
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.