Awarded a Healthiest Employer, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona aims to fulfill its mission to inspire health and make it easy. BCBSAZ offers a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
This remote work opportunity requires residency, and work to be performed, within the State of Arizona.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Under minimal supervision provides the necessary technical expertise to coordinate, maintain and support databases utilizing Microsoft’s SQL Server, database utilities, software products and major subsystems as packaged with purchased applications. The duties include performance tuning, monitoring, database capacity and utilization planning, server application security, archiving, planning and monitoring of backups, disaster recovery, and documentation based on BCBSAZ corporate policies, industry best practices, and customer-based business requirements. The Database Administrator is responsible for the efficient and effective management of the corporation's electronic data on enterprise databases. The position will ensure highly available, stable, secure and recoverable databases in a 24/7 environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Level 1 - Performs job functions under general supervision or peer review
- Collaborate with the Database Services team and infrastructure staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of SQL Server databases and services for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Collaborate in responding to urgent alerts and Production incidents.
- Promote SQL Server artifacts through the several database environments as requested by application development teams, and in general attend to client requests as assigned.
- Participate in the promotion of SQL Server best practices
- Contribute to the team’s knowledge base with useful information such as adopted standards, procedure documentation, problem resolution advice, etc.
- Install and configure SQL Server instances according to standards defined by the team, and upgrade the SQL Server instances as required.
- Manage, monitor, maintain and optimize SQL Server instances as assigned.
- Support Enterprise database clustering, mirroring, replication among other SQL Server technologies.
- Manage scheduled database maintenance jobs.
- Implement and manage SQL Server security to provide appropriate levels of access to users throughout the company.
Level 2 - Performs job functions with moderate supervision and peer review
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems involving SQL Server databases and services to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing SQL Server instances; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these instances.
- Propose and create database design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to infrastructure and application development teams.
- Participate or lead database-related projects
- Draft programs, time estimates and project schedules based on prioritization and business requirements
- Participate and/or lead large- or complex-technical projects
- Act as primary operational contact for internal and external customers when needed / in the absence of manager or team lead.
Level 3 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision
- Responsible for overall technical direction of the Database Services team, including the coordination for the definition of standards for SQL Server administration.
- Serve as point of escalation for technical issues that team members need assistance with.
- Assist the Server Services Manager in distributing work to the Database Services team and the scheduling of tasks required of the team by client departments.
- Assist the manager in providing budgetary forecasting of equipment, software, service, and license needs for the technology team
- Responsible for capacity planning of database-related Infrastructure systems assigned to this department
- Help maintains a Disaster Recovery / IT Contingency plan for BCBSAZ database-related computer equipment and software
- Responsible for modifications or updates to the production environment assigned to this department
- Responsible for problem management and resolution of Infrastructure systems assigned to this department
- Responsible for providing visible leadership for the department within the Information Technology division
- Partners with other team leaders to identify points of leverage, integration, and resource sharing opportunities
- Responsible for conducting weekly functional team meetings
- Responsible for providing weekly team status reporting to management including capacity metrics, performance metrics, ticket information, project information, issues, and potential areas of concern
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Provide peer-level review and mentoring to levels 1 and 2
- Lead, develop and mentor staff by providing opportunities for growth through delegation, training, and assignment to various project teams
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Collectively responsible for the uptime and health of the company’s database environments on a 24 x 7 basis. Provides rotating on-call service (FTEs only).
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards to the extent that they apply to database administration.
- SQL Server skills commensurate with the position’s level.
- Excellent database troubleshooting skills
- Working technical knowledge of PowerShell.
- Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws, including HIPAA regulations related to data security.
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business documentation.
- Experience working with and managing third parties
- Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation. (Applies to Level 2-3)
- Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment. (Applies to Level 3)
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Advanced expertise in SQL Server services.
- Advanced knowledge of computer operating systems
Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
- Impeccable project management skills
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of internal departments and operations
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Level 3)
- Ability to provide mentoring and peer review to team members
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver to team members
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.