Business Intelligence Developer I-II
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
TECH 28-29 Lvl 1
TECH 30-31 Lvl 2
Purpose of the job
- Creates and implements business intelligence and extract, transform, and load (ETL) solutions using programming, performance tuning, data modeling, based on BCBSAZ SQL database design and implementation standards, corporate policies, industry best practices, and customer-based business requirements.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience
- 1 year of experience in computer programming, query design, and databases (Applies to Level 2)
- 3 years of experience in computer programming, query design, and databases (Applies to Level 3)
- 4 years of experience in computer programming, query design, and databases (Applies to Level 4)
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (Applies to All Levels)
Preferred Work Experience
- 2 years of experience in working with healthcare systems as a programmer (Applies to All Levels)
- 2 years of experience managing projects (Applies to All Levels)
- 1 year of supervisory experience (Applies to Level 4)
- Associate’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration (Applies to Level 1)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration (Applies to Levels 2 - 4)
- MS SQL Certification or other certification in current programming languages (Applies to All Levels)
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Level 1 - Performs job functions under close supervision or peer review
- Learn area’s direct flow; and how it affects surrounding systems and operational areas.
- Design, maintain, develop, and enhance basic-level business intelligence systems and programs.
- Design & Implement Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) solutions including SSIS & DTS programming based on BCBSAZ SQL database design and implementation standards
- Apply data mining rules
- Design and code basic-level systems, programs, and interfaces, using the appropriate structured programming techniques and programming languages.
- Participate in the development, review, and creation of documentation used to support associated systems.
- Create logic, system, and program flows for complex systems, including interfaces and metadata
- Write and execute unit test plans. Track and resolve any processing issues.
- Implement and maintain operational and disaster-recovery procedures.
- Participate in small to medium projects.
- Participate in the review of code and/or systems for proper design standards, content and functionality.
- Assist with development and delivery of presentations to staff and management
- Participate in all aspects of the Systems Development Life Cycle
- Analyze files and map data from one system to another
- Adhere to established source control versioning policies and procedures
- Develop programs, time estimates and project schedules based on prioritization and business requirements.
- Use sound project management methodology and demonstrate solid time management skills.
- Monitor and create priority list(s) that are agreed to by user management
- Meet timeliness and accuracy goals.
- Communicate status of work assignments to stakeholders and management.
Level 2 - Performs job functions with general supervision
- Design, maintain and develop moderately complex systems and programs
- Participate or lead medium projects.
- Track and resolve processing problems, coordinating with all appropriate areas
- Assist Users/Analysts with the development of system interface specifications
- Develop, write and implement processing requirements and post implementation review
- Develop time and cost estimates and system modification schedules.
- Create and deliver presentations to staff and management.
Level 3 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision
- Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities
- Build, support, and maintain moderately complex processes, programs, and data
- Evaluate high-level project information and assess project components to forecast work effort required
- Provide peer-level review and mentoring to levels 1 and 2
- Participate and/or lead large- or complex-technical projects
Level 4 - Performs job functions in a lead capacity
- Serve as primary operational contact for internal and external customers when needed or in the absence of the Manager
- Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met
- Lead, develop and mentor staff by providing opportunities for growth through delegation, training, and assignment to various project teams
- Inform the manager of any issues impacting the efficient and effective performance of the department including system, resource, and informational barriers; Provide timely feedback to team member on performance
- Assist the manager in the day-to-day operations of the department
- Responsible for technical and production support documentation in accordance with department standards and industry best practices.
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- Maintain current knowledge on new developments in technology-related industries
- Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
- Participate in on-call rotation
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
REQUIRED COMPETENCIESRequired Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
- Advanced knowledge of business intelligence, programming, and data analysis sotfware
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft SQL databases.
- Intermediate proficiency in SSIS, DTS, T-SQL, ActiveBatch, Redgate, stored procedure development, tuning, enterprise data modeling and schema change management.
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business intelligence documentation
- Demonstrate the ability to stay current on global threats and vulnerabilities.
- Experience working with and managing third parties
- Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management in Corporation. (Levels 2 - 4)
- Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment. (Applies to Levels 3 - 4)
PREFERRED COMPETENCIESPreferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Advanced skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
- Advanced PC proficiency
- Advanced knowledge of Business Objects
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Applications and Suites, Windows Server, and Microsoft SQL databases.
- Advanced knowledge of decision support systems
- Advanced proficiency with relational technologies that supplement RDBMS tool sets
- Advanced proficiency in Infomatica Power Center and Profisee Maestro Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) tools.
- Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
- Impeccable project management skills
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- knowledge of internal departments and operations
- Mentor and provide peer review to lower levels
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver lessons to junior team member
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona