Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the job
- Increases gross revenues through sale of products written primarily through the broker distribution channel. Within the assigned market and territory, directly markets and influences employers and other purchasers and educates, trains, and motivates brokers to promote and sell BCBSAZ products. Develops and maintains effective relationships with brokers, internal operations, and business community in assigned territory
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Broker Relationship Management
- Achieve established sales goals by managing, motivating and training contracted brokers to sell and promote BCBSAZ and ancillary products.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with new and existing brokers and maintain a high level of broker satisfaction for BCBSAZ’s products and processes.
- Develop formal and informal sales presentations in conjunction with brokers.
- Coordinate and manage broker advertising campaign and marketing activities according to formal BCBSAZ advertising guidelines and company policy.
- Identify, recruit and contract with new brokers; provide training and support for newly contracted brokers.
- Communicate BCBSAZ policies, procedures, processes, and updates to new and existing brokers within assigned territory; identify and provide training to brokers in assigned territory.
- Successfully coordinate, communicate, and resolve complaints and grievances involving broker activity.
- Act as a liaison between brokers and internal operations
- Conduct semi-annual broker meetings as a forum to inform brokers and receive feedback from brokers.
- Select brokers for the group broker advisory council per the charter; participate as an active member of the group broker advisory council.
Sales and Territory Management
- Create and implement sales plans for assigned market and territory to meet personal and corporate sales goals.
- Prioritize new business opportunities, to maximize sales revenues, membership, retention, and market share.
- Evaluate, strategize and develop professional sales presentations to brokers, consultants, and employers for selling and retention of groups.
- Maintain current knowledge of competitive products and health economic trends in order discuss and provide input to prospective clients.
- Identify and communicate strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats within assigned territory.
- Identify and pursue direct sales opportunities for new group business.
- Professionally represent BCBSAZ in local civic and business organizations.
- Complete required reports, documentation, and updates on a timely basis.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- The position involves varying work schedules, including evenings and weekends, to accommodate broker activities and BCBSAZ events. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
LEVEL1 – Individual / Small Group BDE
- Work with individual / small group client service managers to develop strategies and tactics for renewal and retention.
- Transition accounts to client implementation team, as needed, following initial sale.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.