Benefit Book Specialist-3 years of experience with medical or ancillary benefits
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Internal use only-grade 29-30
Produces benefit books and other member documents using established language and facilitates the distribution of member documents in print and electronic avenues.
Required Work Experience
- 5 years of experience in a healthcare, business, or related field
- 3 years of experience with medical or ancillary benefits
- High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
Preferred Work Experience
- 10 years of experience in a healthcare, business or related field
- 5 years of experience with medical or ancillary benefits
- 1 year of experience in business writing
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, writing, or related field of study
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Obtain custom benefit book requirements from group documents such as the Description Pages for medical plans, Dental Summaries, and the Group Enrollment Form.
- Comprehend detailed benefit, operational, and legal requirements.
- Collaborate with team members and other departments to understand changes to benefits and plan administration.
- Prioritize plan requirements accurately to ensure timely completion of all member documents.
- Produce large group benefit books or Summary Plan Documents (SPDs), riders, and other member documents by selecting the appropriate language based on the plan requirements.
- Peer review large group benefit books or SPDs, riders, and other member documents as needed.
- Submit benefit books, SPDs, and riders to Legal for approval when necessary.
- Collaborate with team members to file benefit books, SPDs, and riders with the Arizona Department of Insurance and Financial Institutions when necessary.
- Finalize member documents for print, which includes the final formatting.
- Obtain 508-compliant versions for posting benefit books and riders to the internet.
- Assist in the maintenance of the base benefit books that the custom books are created from.
- Post documents to SharePoint for internal use.
- Post documents to the internet for current and prospective members.
- Manage and maintain the Contracts Issuance Database to ensure members receive the correct documents through the mail and on the member portal.
- Communicate with the Print and Fulfillment area regarding mailings.
Research & REPORTING
- Conduct research on benefits, plan administration, and other items.
- Research and respond to questions or requests received from internal customers.
- Collaborate with internal departments to research issues and propose sound solutions.
- Attend meetings relating to benefits, member documents, and other topics as necessary.
- Track the status of benefit books, SPDs, and riders through the production process from receipt of group documents to distribution of member documents.
- Assist in the tracking of required and completed changes made to the base benefit books.
- Escalate any high profile concerns or issues to management.
- Analyze processes and performance results to drive improvement initiatives.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona