Agile Product Owner (IT)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
PU R POS E OF T H E JOB
• This leader will work with key business and IT partners to develop strategic plans for the technologies impacting the
company. Works to deliver features defined for providing methodology process policies, practices, guidance and tools to
E S S EN T I A L JOB F U N C T ION S A ND R E S PON S I B I L I T I E S
LEVEL 1 – Performs job functions with minimal supervision
• Plan, direct, and coordinate projects to ensure goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frames
and funding parameters.
• Accountable for the product backlog and prioritization of user stories with team members
• Create business user stories
• Partners with Scrum Master in supporting Scrum Framework
• Shares and decomposes Features into user stories (non-technical)
• Develop a deep understanding of the customer and product needs
• Recognized voice of the business to the team
• Works closely with project managers to represent capabilities and features at team level
• Ensures traceability between requirements to features to user stories
• Review of test cases against user stories acceptance criteria
• Periodically re-prioritize the Product Backlog based on customer feedback, market changes and business priority as
communicated by the Product Manager
• Actively participates in Product Backlog grooming sessions, retrospectives, defect management and project team’s
release planning sessions
• Accessible for the team to answer questions, and during Sprint planning sessions, and Daily Scrum
• Owns the continual acceptance criteria for business value story user stories
• Create and deliver presentations.
LEVEL 2 - Performs job functions in a lead capacity with general management oversight
• Lead, instruct, direct and check the work of other team members.
• Provide input for team member performance reviews.
• Formally accepts the user stories once all acceptance criteria are met
• Assist management in project support and project resource planning.
• Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities
• Evaluate high-level project information and assess project components to forecast work effort required
• Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met
• Provide peer-level review and mentoring to level 1
• Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor
employees in those levels.
• Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
• The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any
additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
• Perform all other duties as assigned
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
QU A L I F I C A T ION S
1. Required Work Experience
• 5 years of experience in healthcare or insurance field with emphasis on Business Analysis and/or computer
technology including EDI
• 2 years of experience in a role with demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse groups of people inside and
outside of the business
• 3 years of experience in decomposing high-level initiative information and evaluating the components to forecast
work effort required
2. Required Education
• High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (All Levels)
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
• Achievement of agile product owner certification within 12 months of placement
1. Preferred Work Experience
• 8 years of experience in healthcare or insurance field with emphasis on Business Analysis and/or computer
technology including EDI
• 5 years of experience in a role with demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse groups of people inside and
outside of the business
• 3 years of experience working with Agile / Scrum work environments as a product owner, writing user stories, and
following the development process through user story acceptance (All Levels)
2. Preferred Education
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field (All Levels)
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
• Agile Product Owner Certification
COMP E T EN C I E S
1. Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
• Intermediate PC proficiency
• Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, project management, and word processing software
• Demonstrates an advanced knowledge of and experience with the development of business requirements, user
acceptance testing and their supporting toolsets.
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Applications and Suites, Windows Server, and networking applications
• Strong understanding of project management and agile best practices and quality improvement principles.
• Intermediate understanding of IT technologies
2. Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
• Ability to effectively break down barriers to maintain progress on initiatives
• Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
• Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
• Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
• Creativity and innovative problem-solving abilities
• Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
• Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives,
managers, and subject matter experts.
• Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business documentation.
• Experience working with and managing third parties
• Extensive experience and judgment necessary to plan and accomplish goals.
• Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
• Analytical knowledge to generate reports based on available data and make decisions based on reported data
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
• Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation.
• Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment.
1. Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
• Advanced skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
• Advanced PC proficiency
• Intermediate knowledge of BCBSAZ applications
AGILE PRODUCT OWNER
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Page 4 of 4
2. Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
• Impeccable project leadership skills
• Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
• knowledge of internal departments and operations
• Strong technical documentation skills and a strong ability to translate technical concepts so that they are easily
understood by laymen.
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Level 2)
• Mentor team members and peers
• Ability to build lesson plans and deliver lessons to team members