Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Direct, lead and provide professional oversight for medical management activities related to utilization management, case management, disease management, and quality management activities. Support collaborative relationships with physicians and hospitals to achieve mutually acceptable business goals and to ensure that medical policies, procedures and the activities/actions of the division on behalf of the corporation are consistent with the standards of good medical practice in the community.
- Provide direction, support and medical expertise and oversight to areas within the Health Services Division such including utilization management, quality management, case management, medical claims review, and pharmacy management. Specific activities include outcome analysis, HEDIS, dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, care and disease management, concurrent review, precertification, medical claims reconsideration and retrospective review.
- Provide consultative services throughout the corporation, including for the Marketing, Sales, Legal, Actuarial, Network Management, Internal Audit, Finance, and Claims Divisions.
- Communicate with customers regarding their difficult and costly cases, including recommendations and showing the impact of BCBSAZ interventions.
- Seek to improve department/division efficiency through effective use of information system tools and processes to reduce healthcare costs, increase quality of care and service, and reduce administrative expense.
- Review, and implement medical policies and other medical decision making policies or procedures
- Represent BCBSAZ at professional organizations and acts as liaison with individual health care professionals and supports collaborative relationships with physicians and hospitals.
- Provide professional oversight for the various clinical peer committees including, but not limited to, the Clinical Quality Improvement Committee, Credentialing Committee, Medical Directors Committee, and Medical Management Committee.
- Participate in the appeals and grievance processes to assure timely and accurate responses to members and providers
- Provide written information to members and providers through letters and articles in member and provider newsletters and other publications.
- Work to ensure productive relationships with all customers, employers, members, and providers to ensure members receive the appropriate health care in the most appropriate setting with the best value in health care.
- Provide leadership to staff and other professionals through clinical excellence, professional behavior and innovative thinking.
- Monitor quality performance measures, develop and maintain effective workflows, and seek to maximize system efficiencies.
- Identify opportunities to achieve administrative efficiencies while maintaining service.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals.
- Contribute to departmental and cross-functional teams to achieve BCBSAZ goals and ensure future success.
- Coordinate activities between multiple divisions to achieve desired results.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.