Firewall & Network Engineer III (AZURE/ AWS/ Cisco)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Level 3 Network Engineer III (grades 32 - 33)
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of in-house information systems that support core organizational functions. Monitors, maintains, supports, and optimizes networked software and associated operating systems. Identifies, communicates, and resolves issues to maximize benefit of IT systems investments. Works with infrastructure teams and business units to engineer secure solutions on-site and in the cloud.
1. Required Work Experience
6 years Experience in information technology or computer systems, including experience with networked software and operating systems
3 years Experience in planning, design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products
1 year Experience in project management
* Micro segmentation experience, 1 year
* Cisco firewall technology experience, 5 years
* Cisco security suite experience(ISE, Umbrella, etc.) 2 years
* AWS/Azure/Cloud networking and security experience 1 year
* IDS/IPS deployment and support experience 1 year
* Network security/firewall/VPN design and implementation experience 7 years
* Service mesh experience, 1 year
2. Required Education
* High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study (All Levels)
3. Required Licenses * N/A
4. Required Certifications
1. Preferred Work Experience
8 years Experience in information technology or computer systems, including experience with networked software and operating systems
5 years Experience in planning, design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products
2 year Experience in project management
* Micro segmentation experience 2 years
* Cisco firewall technology experience 7 years
* Cisco security suite experience(ISE, Umbrella, etc.) 5 years
* AWS/Azure/Cloud networking and security experience 2 years
* IDS/IPS deployment and support experience 2 years
* Network security/firewall/VPN design and implementation experience 10 years
* Service mesh experience 2 years
2. Preferred Education
* Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field (All Levels)
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
· MS networking certification or exams (All Levels)
· Certification CCNA, CCNP (All Levels)
* Firewall technology certification (All Levels)
* Security Certification (Security+, CISSP)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LEVEL 1 - Performs job functions under general supervision or peer review * Collaborate with infrastructure staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes. * Work with executive team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues. * Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems * Research, analyze, track and resolve basic production problems * Perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies. * Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and software, into enterprise systems. * Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications. * Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems. * Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems. * Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports. * Assist end users with orientation and training on all modified and/or new systems. * Participate on small to medium scoped projects * Monitor and create priority list(s) that are agreed to by management LEVEL 2 - Performs job functions with moderate supervision and peer review * Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions. * Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts. * Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records. * Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems. * Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams. * Draft programs, time estimates and project schedules based on prioritization and business requirements LEVEL 3 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision * Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services. * Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies. * Participate in Infrastructure Review process for CPM managed projects. * Ensure the department leverages internal tools and applications effectively * Build, support, and maintain moderately complex processes, programs, and data * Participate on medium to large scoped projects LEVEL 4 - Performs job functions in a lead capacity * Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities
* Research, analyze, track and resolve complex production problems * Build, support, and maintain moderately complex processes, programs, and data * Evaluate high-level project information and assess project components to forecast work effort required * Provide peer-level review and mentoring to levels 1 and 2 * Participate and/or lead large- or complex-technical projects * Create complex ad-hoc reports for internal and external use * Act as primary operational contact for internal and external customers when needed / in the absence of manager * Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met * Lead, develop and mentor staff by providing opportunities for growth through delegation, training, and assignment to various project teams * Inform manager of any issues impacting the efficient and effective performance of the department including system, resource, and informational barriers; Provide timely feedback to team member on performance * Assist manager in the day-to-day operations of the department
* Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor
employees in those levels.
* Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in technology-related industries
* Participate in corporate quality programs
* The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any
additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
* Perform all other duties as assigned
1. Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
* Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones
* Intermediate PC proficiency
* Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
* Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards, including DNS, DHCP, & IIS
* Intermediate proficiency with applications such as, SolarWinds, Cisco Prime, Gigamon, ExtraHop and/or Splunk
* Working knowledge of networking and PC operating systems from Microsoft.
* Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws, including HIPAA regulations related to data security.
* Knowledge of copper/fiber structured cable standards
* Knowledge of Cisco networking technologies (route/switch/wireless)
* Working knowledge of DNS configurations (Infoblox preferred)
2. Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
* Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
* Perseverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
* Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others. * Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts. * Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business intelligence documentation * Experience working with and managing third parties * Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing. * Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy * Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
* Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation (Applies to Levels 2 - 4)
* Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment. (Applies to Level 4)
1. Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
* Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
* Advanced knowledge of infrastructure security strategy
* Advanced knowledge of firewalls (Cisco ASA, FTD, Sophos and/or Palo Alto)
* Advanced knowledge of load balancers (Netscaler and F5)
* Knowledge of micro segmentation technology
* Knowledge of cloud networking security & firewalls in AWS and/or Azure
* Knowledge IDS / IPS
* Knowledge of Cisco Security Suite to include ISE and Umbrella
* Knowledge of routing protocols RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS
* Knowledge of VPN construction
* Knowledge of cloud service (AWS/AZURE) and deployment models
2. Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
* Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
* Impeccable project management skills
* Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
* Knowledge of internal departments and operations
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Level 4)
* Ability to provide mentoring and peer review to team members
* Ability to build lesson plans and deliver to team members
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona