Coordinator, Government Relations- legislative process experience required
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Responsible for managing corporate legislative affairs and public policy on the local, state, and federal level, identifying, tracking and summarizing legislation, developing policy, representing corporation in the community on legislative and health policy issues.
Required Work Experience
- 2 years of experience in legislative processes or completion of an Arizona Legislative Internship
- High School Diploma or GED in general field of study
Preferred Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, healthcare administration, public policy, or related field
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Play an active, integral role in the corporation’s government relations activities on the local, state and federal levels, involving local and state elected officials, Congress and key state and federal agencies.
- Develop processes to identify, summarize, track and communicate about legislation that impacts the corporation and take the lead on bill tracking.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to develop positions on public policy issues.
- Monitor legislative, regulatory and other sources for relevant information on initiatives and hearings. Ensure coverage as necessary.
- Head up internal and external communications on legislative and health policy issues, including updates to providers and brokers, PAC members, executive leadership, and other groups.
- Be responsible for researching healthcare, health insurance and legislative issues and staying up to date on emerging healthcare and health insurance trends.
- Participate in Blue Cross Blue Shield Association conference calls and, as necessary, attend BCBSA meetings.
- Represent the corporation on public policy and legislative issues in the community.
- Work with chambers of commerce and other associations and stakeholders. Take the lead in at least one chamber’s public affairs committee.
- Manage the corporation’s political action committee (PAC), including drafting contribution requests and managing the approval process, writing political updates for members, coordinating meetings, tracking all PAC and executive contributions, and ensuring regulatory compliance. Attend political fundraising events as a representative of the PAC and Corporation.
- Outreach on political issues to elected officials, staff, stakeholders and internal employees.
- Lead the Department’s social media work including developing a social media strategy and monitoring relevant political and issues-oriented social media. Coordinate with Public Relations Department
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills
- Strong written and verbal communications.
- Ability to work long hours and devote attention to multiple demanding issues.
- Effective public speaker
- Intermediate PC proficiency.
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones.
- Basic skill with word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
Required Professional Competencies.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Interpersonal skills that foster strong relationships with elected officials, staff, stakeholders, members and coworkers.
- Ability to identify key issues and analyze their impact on the corporation and advise senior management accordingly.
- Hands on knowledge of Arizona legislative process
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities.
- Ability to handle multiple complex issues simultaneously.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Detail-oriented and highly motivated
- Principled leadership and sound business ethics
Preferred Job Skills
Preferred Professional Competencies
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.