Cloud Security Architect (IT)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Purpose of the Job
Design, develop, and drive implementation of information security policies, architectures, and technical specifications. Designs security systems or major components of security systems that leverage current and future investments, the latest in technology, and modern best practices. Serve as a subject matter expert on Cloud security and associated compliance initiatives.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain secure cloud adoption roadmap and architecture.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on cloud security issues and questions.
- Evaluate business strategies, requirements, and initiatives and derive appropriate security requirements.
- Plans and implements security systems ensuring that the proper preventive, detective, and reactive controls are implemented to meet security requirements.
- Evaluate and optimize existing security tools and systems to maximize investments, drive efficiency, and automate actions for the security teams.
- Identify gaps in security coverage and make appropriate recommendations to fill the gaps. Assist in the deployment of system enhancements.
- Assess business process, technology and information architecture at logical, system and component levels to understand the risk posture, apply critical thinking, and determine the security models and design. Deliver recommendations to continuously improve the security posture of the organization.
- Provide leadership and knowledge during all cloud adoption activities.
- Act as mentor to junior members of the team.
- Monitor the compliance to standards, policies, and procedures.
- Assist in Developing and conducting cloud security training programs.
- Prepares system security reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging security practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Ensures all personnel have access to the IT system limited by need and role.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Skills / Requirements
Required Work Experience
5-10 years systems engineering or networking engineering experience
3-5 years dedicated security experience
2-4 years IT in architectural role
High-School Diploma or GED in general field of study
- 1 related certification
Preferred Work Experience
- 2 or more years of experience in cloud engineering, including experience with distributed system and datacenter operations, of large online services. Google, AWS or Azure preferred.
- Experience designing and auditing to HIPAA compliance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field
- Certified Azure Solutions Architect, Cloud Security Alliance (CCSK), AWS Certified Solutions Architect, GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC), Cisco CCNA Security, Cisco CCNA Cyber Security, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), GIAC Network Penetration Testing (GPEN),GIAC Web Application Pentester (GWAPT), Cisco CCNP Security, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), GIAC Information Security Professional (GISP), ISO 27001 Practioner or Certified CSF Practioner (CCSFP)
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Experience with implementing security frameworks.
- Experience working with network routing functions and protocols.
- Experience architecting cloud strategies and roadmaps to ensure security requirements are met.
- Experience creating, implementing and supporting a secure cloud architecture and roadmap.
- Experience as a subject matter expert on cloud security.
- Experience evaluating business strategies and requirements to derive security requirements and recommend appropriate controls and metrics.
- Experience with a wide variety of network and infrastructure security tools and systems.
- Experience with Identifying gaps in the security coverage of existing system architectures as well as planned system deployments.
- Experience in the deployment and ongoing support of a wide variety of security systems.
- Experience working with and managing third parties.
- Experience generating reports based on available data and then making complex analytical decisions based on the reported data.
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Knowledge of cloud security principals, architectures, and best practices.
- Knowledge of Network security systems, authentication mechanisms, threats, and controls.
- Knowledge of multi-factor technologies and their implementation.
- Knowledge of modern authentication, multi-factor technologies, implementation and appropriate use cases.
- Knowledge of security concepts like authentication, authorization, perimeter security, access control, least privledge, confidentiality, and integrity.
- Knowledge of encryption, key management, and appropriate use cases
- Knowledge of implementing IT strategy, enterprise architectures and security architectures
- Knowledge of third party auditing and cloud risk assessment methodologies
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word processing software
- Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment.
- Speak to C-level executives about Security designs and ongoing projects.
Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Expert knowledge and experience implementing Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) best practices and guidelines.
- Expert knowledge and experience supporting a variety Cloud Computing and/or hosted infrastructures.
- Knowledge and experience with a variety of governance standards and frameworks
- Expert knowledge and experience in deploying and supporting a variety of cloud security concepts (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS) and mobile architectures