Agile Product Owner - Analytics and Data Science II
Awarded the Best Place to Work 2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
This is a remote opportunity within and outside of the state of AZ.
Starting pay ranging from $69,000-$113,000.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
· This leader works with key business partners and Analytics & Data Science team members to develop strategic plans for the reporting and analyses supporting the company. Accountable for prioritizing the items in product backlog to best achieve goals and missions. Responsible for providing clarity and focus to the team around what work has to be done, ensuring the focus remains on Department and Corporate strategic goals.
1. Required Work Experience
· 5 years of experience in healthcare or insurance field
· 3 years of experience in a role with demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse groups of people inside and
outside of the business
· 2 years of experience in decomposing high-level initiative information and evaluating the components to forecast
work effort required
2. Required Education
· Bachelor’s degree in general field of study
3. Required Licenses
4. Required Certifications
· Achievement of Agile Product Owner Certification within 12 months of placement
1. Preferred Work Experience
· 3 years of experience in healthcare analytics
· 5 years of experience in healthcare or insurance field with emphasis on Business Analysis and/or Project
· 5 years of experience in a role with demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse groups of people inside and
outside of the business
· 3 years of experience working with Agile / Scrum work environments as a product owner, writing user stories, and
following the development process through user story acceptance (All Levels)
2. Preferred Education
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Mathematics, Economics, Statistics or other related field (All Levels)
3. Preferred Licenses
4. Preferred Certifications
· Agile Product Owner Certification
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LEVEL 1 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision
- Plan, direct, and coordinate projects to ensure goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters.
- Accountable for the product backlog and prioritization of user stories with team members
- Work with translators and various departments to understand customer and product needs and completely vet the request prior to prioritizing with the team
- Create business user stories as applicable, and share and decompose features into user stories (non-technical)
- Periodically re-prioritize the Product Backlog based on customer feedback, market changes and business priority as communicated by management
- Actively participates in Product Backlog grooming sessions, retrospectives, defect management and project team’s release planning sessions
- Ensure that the Product Backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all, and shows what the Stable Team will work on next.
- Accessible for the team to answer questions, and during planning sessions, and Daily Standup
- Assist management in project support and project resource planning
- Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities for the Analytics and Data Science team
- Develop a deep understanding of the customer and product needs
- Serve as a recognized voice of the business to the team
- Work closely with management and project managers to represent capabilities and features at team level
- Ensure traceability between requirements to features to user stories
- Own the continual acceptance criteria for business value story user stories
- Create and deliver presentations.
LEVEL 2 - Performs job functions in a lead capacity with general management oversight
- Lead, instruct, direct and check the work of other team members.
- Provide input for team member performance reviews.
- Formally accepts the user stories once all acceptance criteria are met
- Assist management in project support and project resource planning.
- Facilitate and/or create new procedures and processes that support advancing technologies or capabilities
- Evaluate high-level project information and assess project components to forecast work effort required
- Ensure Service Level Agreements between department and operational or technical areas are met
- Provide peer-level review and mentoring to level 1
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- Participate in corporate quality and data governance programs
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
1. Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
· Intermediate PC proficiency
· Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, project management, and word processing software
· Strong understanding of project management and agile best practices and quality improvement principles.
· Intermediate understanding of healthcare data and metrics
2. Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
· Ability to define problems, oversee collection of data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
· Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
· Perserverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
· Creativity and innovative problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to effectively break down barriers to maintain progress on initiatives
· Strong analytical skills to support independent and effective decisions
· Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities
· Analytical knowledge to generate reports based on available data and make decisions based on reported data
· Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
· Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives,
managers, and subject matter experts.
· Management skills in an operationally changing environment, with drive for results and success based on planned
· Ability to deal with the unpredictability of the insurance business and minimize the variance between predicted and
· Extensive experience and judgment necessary to plan and accomplish goals.
· Recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
3. Required Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
· Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation.
· Build synergy with a diverse team in an ever changing environment.
· Principled leadership and sound business ethics
1. Preferred Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
· Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database, project management, and word processing software
· Intermediate skills in mathematics and statistics
· Intermediate proficiency with data warehouses and query tools / design
· Knowledge of data visualization tools, such as Tableau
· Intermediate understanding of data management principles
· Intermediate skill in database, spreadsheet, business intelligence, statistical, and data cubing software
· Familiarity with provider network design processes and strategies · Knowledge of health benefit design and rating techniques · Proficiency in SAS Enterprise Business Intelligence software · Advanced understanding of data management principles · Advanced PC proficiency · Intermediate knowledge of relevant BCBSAZ applications
2. Preferred Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
· Impeccable project leadership skills
· Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
· Knowledge of internal departments and operations
· Strong technical documentation skills and a strong ability to translate technical concepts so that they are easily
understood by laymen.
3. Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to Level 2)
· Mentor team members and peers
· Ability to build lesson plans and deliver lessons to team members
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.